SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pcan_z9

The Gators ain't big as they use to be

pcan-z9
16 years ago

I saw something VERY interesting today. A friend of a friend (kinda thing) has a grandfather that was once a "professional" fern grower here in Florida - huge greenhouses, acres under shade cloth, more acres under live oaks, the whole deal. He's retired all that now, sold it all, and at the age of 93 spends most of his time poking around in his small (20x20) greenhouse. Orchids are his hobby. Apparently, and according to his granddaughter nothing delights this old gentleman more than showing off his greenhouse to interested people. I'm interested. I made the arrangements to go see him. I was given a map to his place and after driving miles and miles in back woods (and beginning to wonder where the HOWDY I WAS) his small home and greenhouse appeared through the trees. I swear, I could write a book of all I learned from this gentleman. A book about Florida in the "good old days" before the "Yanks took it over" with "their" Wal-Mart's and Pizza Hut's ....LOL...A book about growing fern, raising cows, cars with no AC, trains that run off the track and into the riv-va, Jessie James, George Bush and so on and on and on........and on...oh, and the gators........

His greenhouse: Amazing. Just Amazing. Beautiful orchids that where many years old and HUGE!!!! I didn't know they grew that big!! He kept snapping of chunks of them and handing them to me .......God I hope they'll grow roots this time of year and I don't KILL them! GULP!!!

There was no shade cloth to speak of, (just in one little area) I didn't see fans, so I couldn't help but ask - "How do you cool your GH midday?" - He took me outside and pointed up. There on the peak of the roof, in two places, were sprinklers. He said the water takes up the heat before it gets inside the GH and that keeps the GH cool. The water goes into the gutters, into a pipe that waters his tomatoes and roses. He said it takes very little water to do this - "don't need to make a flood" - "just trickling down all nice like" - "just a thin sheet of wata".........................

He told me this way of cooling things was used a lot before the days of AC on all kinds of buildings. He cooled his cow barn this way for heavens sake..

I'm thinking .......I'd like to try this. My heat problem is from 11:30ish to 1:30ish - the midday sun. Only I'd like to use rain water, no spotted up ploy (his was pretty gross with water stains) and I could catch the water off the roof to put back into the loop. It would take a pump ...an inline filter........a large trash can......hose.....misters, ....ah, my husband will know..........;0)...........

What do you guys think about this?? Anybody out their in their 90's have any memory of this in action?? What do you think??

Pat - who's sorry this got so long........

Comments (20)