SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gonefishin_gw

Say it ain't so, Joe! Not the J.B. Please!

gonefishin
16 years ago

Tell me this is not the dreaded Japanese Beetle. I am very afraid that it is because of what I have read. We have never had them in our part of the country but several things concern me. One, my elderly neighbor Tom has been complaining for a few days that something (he thought that it was aphids but does not sound like aphids to me) has turned the leaves of his wild Muxtang Grapes on his arbor into lace.

Two, my fig bush is just loaded and usually I have to battle birds and squirrels but not many bugs. A few days ago, I saw a big over ripe fig at the very top of the tree with something that looked a lot like a june bug on it. That is odd here, I have never, ever had june bugs eat on any fruit or veggies. I picked the fig and tried to sqush the bug enough to capture it, did cripple it but the fig was so soft that it managed to escape and fly away. I have read that the J.B.s start at the very top and eat their way down.

Three, two days later, I found another one on one very ripe fig at the top of the tree. This time I disabled it enough to get it over into the garden sink and drown it.

Below are three pictures, the best that I could get which are not the best. Originally, the danged thing was perhaps a little more brassy, bronze on the section it's head is on. I hope against hope that it is not, it sure will be bad news for our part of the country if it is the Japanese Beetle.

Bill P.

{{gwi:105077}}

{{gwi:105078}}

{{gwi:105079}}

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting