SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
memo3

Ain't life funny?

memo3
15 years ago

It's been five years since I moved to the Ranch to live with my beloved Rancher. It's also been five years since I began trying to turn this old farm house into a home and the giant weedy yard into a garden. It has come a long way since then. I can feel proud of the work that I accomplished. Now I've come to a place in my life where, due to my physical disabilites, I am going to have to give up gardening. It has been a very difficult thing to wrap my head around but I know that continuing will only make my problems worse. It's taken me more than a year to even get close to making this decision, maybe even two years.

Today, one of the Rancher's cousins and his wife stopped here while they were in the area (from WI). The moment the Mrs got out of the pickup, she started hollering excitedly about my garden. Totally a strange happening around here. LOL! I wanted to die because the yard has not been mowed in weeks (we loved the rain though!) nor have my gardens been weeded. We walked into the yard through the big gate arbor and we slowly walked and discussed just about every plant. I loaded her up with seeds too. It was the most wonderful thing for me. Never have I had anyone come to my home and speak to me in a language I understand so well, the language of flower love :) When their visit ended I was paid the "Ultimate Compliment", She thanked me for the garden tour and then she said "I just love your garden. To me it is so much like one of the old English Cottage Gardens! OMGosh, I could have danced a jig!

Suddenly, the thought of giving up gardening isn't so tough anymore. Suddenly, I realized that I did attain my goal. In the end all the endless hours of sweating, tilling, hauling manure and straw, cutting trees and making mulch etc. have been worth the work (and sweat Ha!). Even if it wasn't healthy for me physically, it truly was healthy for me mentally and emotionally (two out of three ain't bad). One more success in life that I can tuck into the back of my mind and then take back out later to enjoy for the rest of my days. I know that all of you, my gardening friends, will know just exactly what I'm talking about because we all speak the language of flower love.

If anyone is interested, I'll be downsizing drastically this fall and will only be keeping enough plants to fill the long bed that borders the fence along the front of my yard. I'll be sure to let all of you know what I have available for trade when I get done. Since I won't be gardening anymore I won't be needing plants or seeds. Do you think we could swap for fabric instead? I should be able to get lots of quilts made with all the free time I'll have on my hands ;)

Hugs to all you,

MeMo

Comments (23)

Sponsored