SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

It ain't easy being green :(

palimpsest
14 years ago

I live in the northeast/mid-Atlantic.

I have been undergoing a prolonged renovation and in the process have removed salvageable building materials and hardware as well as ended up with samples or bits and pieces and fixtures I have decided not to use. I also have had furniture that has cycled in and out.

So we are finishing up the last rooms (and may immediately list the house, which is a whole 'nother story).

I have had yard sales, I have done eBay, I have called salvage places, and charities, and there are still lots of things that no one seems to want--and its not junk.

Almost no one picks up anymore. The Salvation army wouldnt take some furniture because "that could be lead paint". (From 1995?) They gave me a yard long list of things they do not take. I ended up giving the furniture to a charity whose politics I despise simply because they *would take it.

I have been carting around a pair of 8 foot Greek Revival Doors that the local salvage place claims no one wants but

he "would take 'em if I brought them there".

Some things I put outside when the weather is nice, so people will just take it.

I feel like I throw a LOT into the trash, which I hate.

I helped someone stage her house for sale, and I carefully sorted things into donate and toss, and then realized she was putting it all in the dumpster (including never or rarely used clothes and other items) and she said "half of this stuff they'll turn their nose up unless you leave it when they are not open and I bet *they just throw it in *their dumpster, I am saving a step". They stopped recycling in her complex because they kept catching the removal company putting it all in the same truck with the trash.My parents' community stopped recycling almost everything because of the same problem, it wasnt really being recycled.

I know that the west coast is much better about this stuff. Does anyone around my area fare any better?

Comments (11)