SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bigoledude

This seed-starting thing ain't all it's cracked up to be

bigoledude
15 years ago

In the past I bought seedlings and stuck them in some well-prepared soil and they usually did very well despite my efforts.

This is my first serious effort starting ALL of my own seed. And honestly, I did not save as much money as I thought I would. Soiless starting mix is not cheap. The nursery supply houses are really proud of those little 4" seed tray-n-pot things. And, I can't even come close to being able to fit all of my seed trays in the cold frame I built! The next one is almost finished.

My wife is not at-all impressed with the costs saving plan here! And she's even less thrilled with the seed trays everywhere in our newly rebuilt house.

Did you ever notice that the seeds you want to plant many of, have about six seeds in the packet. And, the seed-packets you almost regret buying, and may not even have room for, have about a grillion seeds in them!

So now, I'm just learning how bad the "Spotted Wilt" virus has gotten here. And, I've already started mostly Heirloom tomato varieties.

Now, I'm looking for an inexpensive source of the "BHN" and "Bella Rosa" tomatoes.

This is my first "real" garden since hurricane Katrina. This may sound ridiculous but, at my age, (OLD) I've never been more fired-up over a garden in my life!

Ray

Comments (16)