SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nippstress

My Spring vs. Summer Gardens

Hi folks

I love the way gardens can totally transform from spring to summer with dramatically different impacts from the same spaces. I've posted some spring vs. summer contrasts below, which is also a secret excuse to show off the bulbs that turned out quite nice this year. My philosophy is that everywhere there's not another plant there needs to be a spring bulb, and I never quite get there but it's fun trying. Given how many roses I have, there's always an epic battle to maneuver between huge fall roses to plant the bulbs, then not mangle the spring bulbs while planting new roses.

As many roses as I have, I find that nothing gets attention from neighbors and other passers by as the bulbs, particularly the tulips. They're one of the few things in my yard that can actually stop traffic - the neighbors have given tours of my yard to visiting family members and my mailman brought his wife by after hours to see the plants. The summer of 2012 was such a wicked drought that I didn't plant any new bulbs for a change (most of the tulips need replanting if you pack them in this tightly and water enough for roses). The next spring, my husband plaintively remarked, "So when is the garden going to explode?" I was touched that he missed it, since he's not a gardener, and I absolutely love that spring explosion myself, so I put in my usual array of bulbs last fall. All of my daffodils, allium and smaller bulbs are basically perennial, but they don't have the zowie impact of those gaudy tulips, so that's mostly what you'll see in the photos, since the other bulbs are earlier bloomers.

The pictures below show more or less the same garden areas in spring/summer, but it's cheating a little, since the bulbs are from this spring and the roses were from the extraordinarily nice June flush of roses last year. Almost none of that cane survived this last winter, so there's no way the spring flush will be that nice this year. Still, it's interesting to see how crowded the garden can look and yet have hidden surprises waiting to fill in with exuberance in the next garden phase.

Here are the bulbs in the front of the house that are actually sort of color coordinated in apricot, white, and purple - my preteen son noticed this and mentioned how he really thought that was cool (not a common compliment to a parent from a preteen male).

{{gwi:263705}}

I don't have a full array shot of the roses in the front bed, but this shows the ones at the end of the bed, with Quadra holding up the arch at the back.

{{gwi:263707}}

These are the "hot color" tulips in my hot sun bed that's a zone 6 pocket of my yard, so about 2 weeks before the other beds to bloom. You can see Madame Isaac Periere ready to escape her cage before long, even after being cut to the ground.

{{gwi:263709}}

The summer shot then shows MIP holding her own to the right of the photo along with Savoy Hotel at her feet and various OGRs and HTs mixed in.

{{gwi:263711}}

This is my shade garden with some Virginia bluebells peeking out at the back and hydrangea sticks I didn't get trimmed yet.

{{gwi:263713}}

For summer, this is the same bed being taken over by hardy shrubs and hybrid musk roses, with a hint of the climbing roses on the fence at the bottom.

{{gwi:263715}}

This is the back garden where you can see a clear split in the cool vs. hot colors, and the shade section is visible to the rear.

{{gwi:263716}}

Here are two views of the same bed last summer.

{{gwi:263717}}

{{gwi:263718}}

This is the deliberate mishmosh of colors around the mailbox, with Liverpool remembers already staking a claim on its space, again after being trimmed to the ground.

{{gwi:263719}}

Then here's the same corner with Liverpool Remembers and friends in all their glory at two different seasons.

{{gwi:263720}}

{{gwi:263721}}

This is another random color mix on the east side between houses with a few roses peeking out in the foreground and some catmint already a good size.

{{gwi:263722}}

Then the East Side Survivors take over in summer, in my cold zone 4 pocket of the yard.

{{gwi:263723}}

This is by my garage where I try to echo the color of the bricks, but it usually ends up more "hot colored" than I planned.

{{gwi:263725}}

And here's part of the garage in summer, with Illusion, Sunrise Sunset (pink) and Hot Cocoa in view.

{{gwi:263726}}

Here is a delicious mix of the colors further down the garage that actually does echo the brick and show fascinating fading patterns of the original colors of tulip Gavotta.

{{gwi:263727}}
I don't have any corresponding rose pictures for this bed because it's too new, but I love the explosion of the bulbs.

{{gwi:263728}}

Here's my lavender/cream rose bed that also doesn't have particular rose shots to show off (yep, lavenders are wimpy roses in cold zones), but you can see the previous tulip area and the garage in the background as a nice panorama.

{{gwi:263729}}

OK, enough showing off, but I do have fun with springtime. I was tempted to add a subtitle to this thread "...why I'm not that into spring blooming roses", but that would be cheating since once bloomers can scatter throughout the season. For me, I like the dramatic transition from a primary focus on bulbs to iris/clematis/allium to roses and other perennials, and that's one of the few gardening benefits we can claim in cold zones. Polar vortex weather can be frustrating, but it creates an unmistakeable change in garden seasons!

Cynthia

P.S. Ingrid, you'd asked me to post some photos of my garden a while back - does this fit the bill for the time being (smile)?

Comments (19)