SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
serenasyh

serious concerns about Heirloom Roses....

serenasyh
14 years ago

Hi, I just received my 2 Heirloom roses, and man! I was in for quite a shock... the roses were so tiny like a tiny china doll-sized teacup and with the whopping price tag of a regular container own-root rose like Roses Unlimited. One of my roses looks very viable and strong, it has a new "pineapple" lovely stem growth and I can tell it will do well, as tiny and miniscule as it is... On the other hand I had to immediately call Heirloom about the other rose... It looks very fragile (leaves are the size of my fingernail-I have small hands too!) and many of the leaves were curled and yellow-green, not the strong green of the other rose... My inexperienced but very methodical eye could tell, that this "sapling" should never have been mailed... It does not have enough leaf maturity to endure the UPS travel time...

I also question the wisdom of sending such young plants... why not just wait keep them in the greenhouse for one year...that way they have enough root system developed ... these tiny "sprouts" can be no older than 1 month maximum... Even my tree rose baby leaves are 10x the size of these baby plant leaves.

The customer representative promised she would replace the 2nd rose if it fails to live and she did admit it was too soon to send out the roses... I did go ahead and plant them in pots, because the size of the plants worry me greatly... To me with such young plants would have no chance of surviving the sudden ice freezes of Kansas. My observational eye and intuition tells me that if a rose is only 4-5" in May, it will not have enough roots and strength and must stay in pots until next year... What has everyone else's experience been with Heirloom roses...

Comments (114)