SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardener_at_the_gate

Training Dr Huey

What an education tonight has been. The comments on my spruce vs rose problem have lead to the discovery that my rose is not a "rambler", but Dr. Huey (I had to do some reading to find out what that meant, of course).

Now I have a different question. I just read that Dr. Huey can be trained as a climber -- forgive my ignorance, but how would I go about doing that? I love this rose, but it is at the apex of the flower bed right up against the stones that form the perimeter of the bed. And since the bed is almost directly on my property line, my neighbor has to deal with the ten foot canes that drape southward onto his property.

I read that you should cut Dr Huey back after it blooms. Is that accurate? If I cut it back hard to get it off my neighbor's property is there any chance I can train it to grow INTO the flowerbed rather than out of it? (Right now it can't grow into the flowerbed because the spruce is taking up all the space east of the roses. With the spruce gone, could the rose once again be convinced to "fountain" into the bed?)

If you didn't read my previous post about the spruce, the pictures of the rose and competing spruce are located at http://www.atthegardengate.com/Rose_vs_Evergreen.html

Any comments will be most welcome. I want to learn!

Comments (14)