SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pdog_gw

Need starting point for idle screw on my Troy Built Trimmer

pdog
14 years ago

I have had a Troy Built TB490BC trimmer for the past 6 years without a complaint. Starts right up on the second pull every time, then I used it last weekend. I was 1/2 way done with the yard, and it died. Went to start it back up and it ran really rough, but when I gave it throttle it would not even spin the head.

I cleaned the spark arrestor screen, put in fresh gas and a new spark plug, same thing. I noticed the air filter was really gummy, so I replaced it. Now for the really bad news, I messed with the idle screw and like a fool am not sure what was the correct setting to start it (since it does not start at all now). I tried all the way in, then 1.5 turns out tonight without any luck. Any ideas on how far the screw should be out?

From what I read, I think I have been pretty lucky as many others seem to get a couple of years out of these (I was a new home owner and stupid :)). If it needs a carb rebuild or something, I may just end up stepping up to a Stihl, but really don't want to spend a ton of cash right now. Maybe they would give me a good deal since I also wanted to buy a backpack blower. There goes this months budget.

Comments (6)