SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_thefarm

Request rose ID (no pics)

melissa_thefarm
13 years ago

This worked when I tried it last year, so once again I'm going to give you a verbal description of a mystery rose I have and see whether one of you can come up with an identification.

This is a once-blooming old rose that I bought as 'Georges Vibert', which it isn't. It's a lovely creature, however. The plant is a low, floppy shrub with mid green matte old rose foliage, moderate prickles and bristles (moderate both as to quantity and degree of ferocity), not much glandular development on the buds, which are fat with short sepals. The overall character of the rose is most like a Gallica, though the flowers are pale. The flowers are milky white shaded palest pink, double, with many petals folded in amongst themselves, a button eye, and a bit of green peering out from the center; the form of the open flower is like a low flattened dome. Blooms are about 2 1/2"-3" across. The scent is rich, soft old rose; not sharp, not overly sweet. I can't remember if it forms hips. The plant doesn't get any disease, but fungal diseases aren't a big problem here; it's a healthy sturdy plant.

As best as I can determine, my mystery isn't any of the following varieties: 'Belle Isis', 'Duchesse de Montebello', 'Blanchefleur', 'Botzaris', 'Leda', any Alba, and certainly not a Moss. I do have a possible identification, but would like to hear what others come up with.

Melissa

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH