SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ncdaydreams

salvaged tinted windows... yay or nay?

ncdaydreams
16 years ago

i just salvaged 50 6.5 by 3.5 hinged windows from a large scale building rennovation. when we first went to see what we might be getting, the windows were still installed in the building, it was seven stories of all glass! from the inside, the windows seemed to be clear with no tint. today, we went to pick up the windows which were removed by the demo crew, and we came to notice that the windows are actually tinted. they are aluminum framed, thick tempered glass, probably from the late 70s early 80's. the glass itself has the tint to it, it is not a film which could be removed.

my wonder is how this might affect the functionality of a greenhouse (do different types of tints block different wavelengths of light essential to photosynthesis, heat retention/reflection issues,etc). any suggestions or insight into this would be so greatly appriciated. i would like to actually find out what kind of tinting these windows have and how much light they actually block, but do not know who i should try to talk to about it.

you never hear about people building greenhouses with tinted glass, but shadecloths are almost always a must. would the windows perform the same function? i do want the greenhouse to be used primarily during the winter months for seed starting and propagation, so i will surely need the sun and heat. any ideas on design which could incorporate the tinted windows into it but still allow for maximum winter sun penetration and heat retention? i have a feeling it's all going to revolve around the angle and orientation of the roof, the indoor reflective surfaces, and the thermal mass which will compose the north wall.

also on a slight sidetrack, but still in the same plans... what about straw bale/cob for a thermal mass? i tend to get mixed opinions on this. i know it is a good insulator, but is it good for heat retention? i really don't want to go the route of water barrels, but have a feeling that may be my only option.

i have worked in the plant industry for many years and worked in many different types of greenhouse settings. this will be my first personal greenhouse though, and it is a total experiement. i'm trying my hardest to not foul it up in these early planning stages. i figure learning both from other's triumphs and mistakes will help me create my own plans. i'm always reading posts on this forum and they never fail to be interesting and informative, but I have not signed up to become a member until now. this is my first post, so please be kind:)

Comments (16)