SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanserrackd

Poll: Do I get involved?

Susan Serra
17 years ago

Youngest son's girlfriend is taking him out to dinner for his birthday to a mutual favorite (they watch the food network on tv a lot) fab celeb chef's restaurant in NYC. Both are college students, both have NO money, so this is a big splurge. They NEVER eat out at restaurants, never ever. Always cook up a storm nearly every night. Always watch the food channel. They love to cook.

Enter mom. I'd love to stretch the girlfriend's budget a little and to butt in just a bit. To secretly ask that they be treated special (as they are not the restaurant's usual patrons, blase, well to do NYers) and to have the waiter offer up a bottle of wine, maybe/maybe not to be identified as coming from his parents. I think if I throw this past his girlfriend, she'd say no, only because she wouldn't want us to go to the trouble, she's very very sweet. But, at the same time, I'd love to extend the budget for this dinner.

What do you think?? Yay or nay?! I don't see it as a big deal, but I've been wrong before!

Comments (27)