SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristimama

Just for fun... recommend a climbing rose for cattle panel arch

kristimama
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

In true rose addict fashion, I have at least partially convinced my DH to (next year) consider bumping out our front yard area with a little retaining wall and using the extra space gained for more roses. Tee hee hee. I'm giddy here. More. Roses. :-)

This space includes the main walkway up to our house, and one of the things I can envision is a great big arch covered with a climbing rose, which up until this point I've had to avoid because I have such a small yard. Most of my rose selections have been relatively small.

What roses would be on your short list to consider for this space?

-I have a strong preference for thornless or somewhat thornless (especially since this is an arch used by all entering my yard)

-It must bloom, bloom, bloom, and then bloom a little more. Even better if is goes from March to December with at least a few blooms on at all times.

-Colors are less important.

-Scent would be a nice to have.

-I prefer the double and fully double old roses... don't much care for singles.

-Cut roses would be fun, but not a necessity for this rose.

-Would I have to deadhead it to get it to rebloom? (would prefer not... but I guess if I have to do a *little* work for such beauty I'd cope)

I absolutely adore the look of "Climbing Maman Cochet" but it may be too thorny for me... this rose at Vintage was a show-stopper but I think he may have lost it.

Now, consider this... would a cattle panel/metal arch hold the rose you're suggesting, or would I need plan to build a slightly more robust arch poured into concrete footings?

Also, I'd have room to plant roses on either side of the arch. Would you put 2 of the same rose to meet up at the top, or plant 2 different roses?

Thanks for playing along.

-kmama

Comments (15)