SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirtflirt

Honda FG100 oil leaking from air filter area

dirtflirt
15 years ago

I finally got around to replacing the the parts for the transmission today. Got the tiller all put back together and drained the oil (no gas in tank since last year) and on the advice of a friend, since I was worried the tiller may have tipped onto its side during the winter (was told that's bad) took the spark plug out and gave the cord a couple slow pulls to make sure oil hadn't leaked some where it shouldn't have (hey I just do as I'm told!) No oil came out of the spark plug hole. So I'm good, I thought.

Filled the oil (level engine and oil just up to the threads) Put in some gas and low and behold the red rubber fuel primer bulb is cracked. So I take off the air filter cover to see what all I need to dismantle to make it easier to remove the bulb thing, and there's fresh oil soaking the the leftish bottom section of the foam air filter. I removed the filter and oil is ozzing steadily out of the air filter housing. Looks like it's coming from a 1/2in (apprx) black hose that connects into the back of the filter housing.

I drained the oil but still oil is coming out of the air filter housing. So I just tilted the engine, air filter side down, so it wouldn't drip all over the tiller and let it drip onto newspaper for the next half hour.

What the heck? Any one know if this is a lost cause now or what?

Comments (9)