SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lincann

Soil test results - now what?

10 years ago

Seems I can't make a decision any more without consulting my Gardenweb family first !

Just had soil testing completed: Bottom line is no P needed, but suggested I add plenty of N and K. Also powdered sulfur due to a pH of 7.5 in my raised veggie bed and in ground flower beds.

I use alfalfa pellets, soybean meal and Espoma Holly Tone for pretty much everything, but think the high phosphorus levels were a result of my attempt a few years ago to lower the pH with triple phosphate or maybe it was the decades-ago use of 10-10-10 every spring ~ who knows.

Either way, for years now I've strayed away from the chemicals and make my own compost which I use liberally. For this reason, my organic matter is pretty high ~ 14%, so I'll lay off adding more compost for a season,

I applied the alfalfa pellets, SBM and Hollytone a couple of weeks ago (after soil testing results) and as peas and kale went in, but not sure what to look for in purchasing potash and ground sulfur.

Any suggestions for best sources, favorite brands or where to buy? Any precautions when using either of these products?

I noticed Espoma sells a bag of Potash, but can't be found around here. They also have a Citrus formula which is 5-2-6 and Palm formula which is 4-1-5, both of which might give me the added N/K and micronutrients, but doesn't address the sulfur issue.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts !

Comments (5)