SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spotco2

Soil test results, what's next?

spotco2
16 years ago

I finally got the results back from my soil test and no surprise that my pH was low (5.2). Phosphorus was low, Potassium was low, Calcium was ok, Magnesium was ok and Zinc was ok.

They recommended adding 45 lbs of lime per 1000 sq ft to raise the pH to 6.0-6.5. I have a one acre lot with house and driveway, so I got 1400 lbs of pelletized lime on the ground this weekend along with some water.

They also recommended for establishment to add 25 lbs of 5-10-15/1000sq ft to the top 4-6 inches of soil prior to seeding, then 3 lbs of 34-0-0 or 2 lbs of 46-0-0 per 1000 monthly through August, then 6 lbs of 16-4-8 or 8 lbs of 12-4-8 per 1000 in September. Then 10 lbs of 10-10-10 per 1000 in spring and fall, 3 lbs of 34-0-0 or 2 lbs of 46-0-0 per 1000 in June and July.

Maybe once we get the mineral content of the earth correct, we will be able to grow something other than dust and clover :)

One question that I had was how soon after the lime should I start with the fertilizer?

I have a grading/erosion guy coming out to look at flattening out the yard this week and hope to have it smooth by next week (even if I have to get out the tractor and box scrape myself) and start to get some seed down.

Do I need to wait until I get the top dressing done to fertilize? There will be a lot of fresh top soil brought in for that, but some of the yard will be existing dirt.

Also should I be able to see a physical difference in the lawn with just the lime and normal watering? If so, what should I be looking forward to and when?

Comments (3)