SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8959062

Aconitums - tell me about yours.

User
9 years ago

Aconitums are undeniably tough and long-lived plants - I know because I have several which are as old as my garden which have survived everything, including total transformation. They are always good for that l;ate summer shot of electric blue and if, like me, you have finally despaired of the never-ending fuss required to have delphiniums, then aconitums are a fabulous replacement. However, my modest collection has had a recent shot in the arm since taking to the woods - not only do they grow easily from seed, nothing wants to eat them and they look fine surrounded by the vast swathes of umbels and willowherb which colonise the woods. Accordingly, I now have a varied collection including the pale Stainless Steel, creamy Ivorine and various types - amellus, henryi, cammarum (I confess to vagueness regarding taxonomy since they came from jumbled seed collections from here, there and everywhere. I have also been investigating the climbing aconitum, A.hemslyanum (sp?).
Then, there is the foliage - handsome, palmate, shiny or interestingly lacinate - really, although it has taken some time for this plant to have finally crept under my radar, I predict another one of those obsessions creeping up....but what's not to like?
So, those discerning gardeners who have discovered the charms of monkshood, enlighten me and tell me how and where you grow yours, please.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting