SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliska12000

Question about new Mantis tiller with Honda 4-cycle engine

aliska12000
16 years ago

I may regret having bought it being an older woman, but I did. Two user manuals, plowed through one yesterday, and only my receipt has the model number, 7262-15-02. On one of the manuals it says GX25-GX35. On the machine is GX25.

It is too hot and humid to mess with it now so I'll try to get my remaining questions answered, I plowed through many threads on gardenweb about tillers, pro's and con's.

I already found out it was all I could do to get it in the back door, up some steps (awkward, regular steps outside wouldn't be so bad, basement steps would be bad because narrow and you have to duck your head), and into my BEDROOM because I'm afraid if I put it in the garage somebody will climb through a missing window and steal it, and the basement is too damp. Will worry about the storage problems later.

First a couple posters said they used it pulling it backwards, then letting it go forward an arm's length. Do they have the tines set for till or for cultivating, cultivating I would think? Why do you have to turn them around for cultivating/weeding?

Next, I read that the oil should be checked before each use and changed after the first 10 hours and then 50? hours. How do I change the oil? Turn it on its side and dump it in something or is there more to it?

Same with the gas. I just burn it out at the end of the season with my snowblower, figure to do the same with this unless someone tells me differently. Will buy some fresh gas and dump the old I bought about last Oct in my car as soon as the tank goes down enough. Premium? I usually buy regular.

What kind of oil do I buy for it? I already have 3 different kinds sitting here, had a bunch of Lawnboy in cans, can't find any now:

Master Mechanic Lawnmower Engine Oil SAE 30, 20 oz bottle

Quaker State 2-cycle engine oil, 3.2 oz

Briggs and Stratton Ashless 2-cycle oil, 8 fl oz

Then the salesperson at the hardware store (did it all by phone and they delivered) said it would break sod. Now I read it won't. Need to dig a patch about 5' X 3' and enlarge and neaten up a fairly small one I hired someone to do with a tractor tiller a little more (he also dug a 4'X40' strip for me which I will need to cultivate/weed, wouldn't attempt breaking that much sod with the Mantis). I have been hand digging everything with a shovel, fork, tile spade, kid's spade, but my back is weak, tires easily, and sometimes it goes out (if the latter, it would be too painful for awhile to even think of using the tiller). If it won't break sod, I will be disappointed; I'm not talking about a huge garden plot.

Finally, for now, and it must surely sound dumb, but they don't say how to do it in the manual without damaging them. How do I get the pins out and back in to change the tines or put on the edger that came with it? They were going to show me but didn't.

I would call the place I bought it, but it's way the heck on the other side of town, don't usually shop there, but they were the only authorized dealer around here. They would probably recommend something to buy from them, but would answer some of these questions, I'm sure. If I should call them, I will.

Nobody is going to want to read all this, but that's where I am at with it right now.

Comments (11)