SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

The Learning Process Never Stops

About a year ago, in a misguided attack of false confidence, I declared that my garden was pretty well finished and all I really needed to do was sit back and watch my roses grow. The gods must have resented such hubris since they immediately proved me wrong. Suffice it to say that since that time at least twenty new roses have made their appearance, almost as many have disappeared and companion plants have equally come and gone. I've discovered that I'm not really a very good gardener and an even worse garden designer, so that basically everything I do is done through trial and error. The only reason I've succeeded to any extent is that the plants themselves are intrinsically beautiful and that I've kept the color palette fairly low-key, so that nothing is terribly jarring. The garden areas themselves are rather chopped up, with a large concrete parking area as the centerpiece, which makes it very difficult to make a dramatic statement anywhere. Given my limitations and those of the property, it's become a hit or miss attempt to achieve some order, unity and beauty.

I know that my situation is not unique since most of us labor under at least one and often a number disadvantages when trying to make beautiful gardens. I'd be interested to know what sorts of challenges others have had to overcome. Oh, I forgot to mention the oven-like heat that radiates off the boulders and hillsides here and fries many roses in short order. Misery loves company so don't hold back. I know some of you have had to overcome horrible soil, pesky diseases and terrible weather. I'd love to hear your stories.

Ingrid

Comments (8)