SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cranheim

STIHL Ultra 2-cycle Oil

cranheim
16 years ago

I just purchased a STIHL BR600 Backback Blower, and decided to go with the STIHL Ultra 2-cycle oil, because it is recommended to be the best for their 4-mix engines. What bothers me is that STIHL says "This oil is biodegradable, degrading by 80% in 21 days". This gives me some concern for the shelf life of the oil, and the life of the oil /gas mix that may not be used right away. I called STIHL about this. Their first answer was it only degrades when it is exposed to air. They did not have any information on what happens to the gas/oil mix, once the mix is exposed to the air. I sometimes have a gas/oil mix standing around for a month or more, because I also use STABIL in it. This never gave me a problem with the ECHO blend oil I have been using. This STIHL Ultra fully synthetic oil is supposed to be great for the STIHL 4-mix engines, because it leaves very little carbon deposits. Is there anyone out there that is using this STIHL Ultra oil? I know the dealers sell very little of it because it costs more than their other 2-cycle oils. STIHL claims they ran a test on it in their 4-mix engines for 500 hours. When they tore them down, they found it looked like it only had an hour of use on it. This is why I chose to try it. Charles Ranheim

Comments (2)