SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
exmar

2 cycle oil mixing ratios

It seems like I have two cycle engines all over the place and they differ in recommended mix ratios, e.g. 16:1, 50:1, etc. I have gallon cans, marked for the particular use, e.g. one has Stihl, Mantis, and leaf blower written on it as they all use 50:1 mix.

There are various posts and other info out there that indicate that the various ratios are not needed and there are particular formulations which only require one, typically 2.6oz. bottle per gallon of gas.

There is also information that we got into this mess due to the manufacturers wanting to sell two cycle oil and to support that they created specific ratios for their engines. If you just bought a nice Stihl chain saw and read "50:1" would you ignore the manufacturer's recommendation?

Here is a link that I found very interesting as it goes into the history of two cycle lubricants and their evolution. It also concludes that one 2.6oz. bottle is adequate.

Further compounding the already murky issue, we now have synthetic 2 cycle lube. I've switched to synthetic oil in crankcase applications and it seems to be OK, but is it needed in 2 cycles?

Opinions?

Ev

Here is a link that might be useful: Oils for two cycle engines

Comments (7)

Sponsored
More Discussions