SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jettix2

Gas String Trimmer....Stihl, Cub, Husq....not Echo!

jettix2
16 years ago

Hey guys,

I have a 5 acre apple orchard that I live on.....mow about 2 acresa of it, and have 50 trees to trim around every week when I mow.

I bought a (new) 21cc Echo GT2000 gas trimmer about 5 yrs ago, and I hated it.....I felt it was underpowered, and it never suited my needs very well........bogged down in heavy grass, couldn't run Cross-Cut line on it as the power wasn't sufficient, and the head was a PITA to load with string.

I just gave it to my sister and am now looking for a new unit.

I won't even consider ECHO unless their new 21cc motors have more power than my old one had....service doesnt matter, as all the brands I am considering have local dealers. I'm trying to keep it under $200, as it's just a string trimmer;)

Possibilities include:

STIHL FS45 ($179) , FS46 ($189) , FS55R ($199)

HUSQ 125C ($159) or 125L ($199)

CUB CADET 26cc 4-cycle ($189)

CRAFTSMAN 2-cycle and 4-cycle ($159, $189)

I'm not sure if I want/need a straight shaft over a curved, but I think I'd like a J-bar or Bike-Handle style bar for the extra control........(I remember twisting the round handle on my old Echo around all the time). All of these units are powerful, and all have some sort of easy-load head, from what I read.

The Cub Cadet and Craftsman are 4-cycle units, which seems like a bonus. The Husquevarna and Stihl are great brands with excellent reputations, though......

Does CUB CADET make a decent string trimmer? (It is available at my local Home Depot).

Any thoughts are appreciated. cornertoystore@gmail.com

Thanks, Ben

cornertoystore@gmail.com

Comments (11)