SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mulcher2_gw

Hedge trimmer to cut tall grass?

mulcher2
12 years ago

I've read where some have used hedge trimmers and chainsaws to cut ornamental grass. But that may work different than for my purposes.

My goal is to get hay for mulching the garden. The price for 5 large round bales of straw is $100. That's a lot of mulch, but after a couple of years, it'll all be gone. However, spending $450 for a hedge trimmer is still a lot, especially if it doesn't work. But, maybe I can find a used one for less.

We have quite a bit of brome grass growing nearby that is basically wasted. What I'd like to know is if those with hedge trimmers could try them out on tall grass to see how it works. I had borrowed a small electric one, ran out a long extension cord and didn't have much luck. The gaps between the teeth were about a half inch and you had to wiggle the trimmer back and forth to get it to cut into the grass. The grass would catch on the teeth and not let it through. I've seen some gas powered ones in the store with gaps between the teeth of an inch or more. I'm thinking they may do better. What I imagine would be great is to get a pole hedge trimmer and be able to cut the hay about as fast as one can walk. Turn around and walk back cutting another path. And, I can choose when to cut it such as before it produces seed.

I'd appreciate it greatly if someone could try out a gas hedge trimmer and report the results.

Comments (15)