SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peace_rose_gw

How/when to prune this rambler/climber?

peace_rose
14 years ago

I've got a bush that give a glorious display of red flowers mid-May through June. Not sure if it's a climber or a rambler? The canes get to be at least 15 feet long and are mostly straight shoots, but some of them branch off here and there. This is a hardy plant that the previous owners planted, probably 15 years ago. It's my 6th year in the house and I'm still trying to figure out how and when to prune it.

Last season I mostly ignored it and it gave quite a show. This spring, however, I've had to prune out A LOT of dead branches. There are only 3 canes that I think are worth saving; the rest are definitely last year's growth (if not from the year before that). The leaves are a little bit on the yellow side, so I put scratched some "iron safe" into the ground around the dripline. I'm thinking that I will prune it hard in July and leave only the 3 green canes. I'm pretty sure the older canes will flower next month so I hate to cut them out right now - even if they aren't looking 100%.

Does this sound like a good plan? Like I said, I'm still trying to figure this one out!

Thanks friends!

Comments (6)