SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sujiwan_gw

Choosing ramblers or climbers: Part Deux

I mentioned on an earlier post that I would like to try to grow some sort of climber/rambler along my 40+' front porch, which faces south. Currently, said porch has no arbor structure and only has posts, no railings. Plus it has several large yews that need to be removed fronting it.

Here's where I need help: knowing how much hardiness is going to affect my choices and choosing the right type to train.

Hardiness: I assume I'm in 6A from one of the maps I've seen for areas of PA near Gettysburg. I checked weather history ( records lows by day/month) from the 70's to recent and it looks like temperatures frequently fall into the single digits in the winter months. The colder periods shown were in the 1970's and 80's with anywhere from 2 to 7 days of below 0 temps (to minus -18 for 2 days in 1994). Overall the 90's and 2000's have shown a warming trend. So, do you take the extremes into consideration when choosing your roses, since those temp record lows would indicate least a zone 5 at times? Or, does one just assume that winter protection is a must? I'm really conflicted as to what I can use as a climber given this knowlege. William Baffin just doesn't wow me at the moment.

Next, given above information, which (climber,rambler) type or specific rose would offer the most pliability and control along that length of porch?

Thanks for your advice.

Comments (11)