SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
knoxrosetn

Would love any advice on choosing a yellow or light colored climber.

KnoxRose z7
9 years ago

Hello all! I have a spot for a climbing rose up against a southeast facing brick wall that is a deep red color, I will be installing a 96" tall white trellis & I want something either in a yellow or soft apricot or white or some light color (preferably not pink) that will really pop against the dark red background & that can have a reliable repeat. I will be planting a rose on either side/in front of the climber so it can't be something that balloons up into a huge bushy mass of a thing.

Last fall I placed an order with Roses Unlimited for a climbing Lady Hillingdon to fill the space, but lately I keep finding comments about her slow growth rate & I have been getting increasingly worried about her hardiness rating of 6b on HMF... I feel like I might be putting all my eggs in one basket by choosing the lady, since this will be my first climber ever and will make up the backdrop for a large section of my boarder garden, if I have a particularly bad freeze one early spring (east tn is notorious for its "dogwood winters") then I'm afraid my tender climbing tea will be zapped down to the ground only to start slowly up the wall again, if she even makes it at all.

Due to the fact that I went on a full blown shopping spree on ARE's website last fall I have several young roses waiting around in pots for me to figure out their 'final destinations', so I just so happen to have a few other climbers on hand that may or may be good for the area, also Roses Unlimited said they don't mind if I change my order at this point because it won't ship for another month and a half, so I could use my credit from the exchange to choose another climber from their vast selection if I so choose.

The roses i already have that could fit into this area:

Graham Thomas (hesitant to use him because of his stingy reputation, otherwise he would be a no brainier)

Reve D'Or (heard this one is a slow grower)

Teasing Georgia (at least I think it is a TG, this grafted/unlabeled plant was bought on discount from a local nursery & is recovering pretty well from a couple of years of neglect)

Buff Beauty (worried about how bushy this one would get- probably more suited to a backyard with more space, right?)

Jude the obscure (love this rose, some list this as a climber, but when I see photos of fully grown specimens it is usually so mannerly looking)

Crepuscule (worried about the size of this one, I have read that it can eat a house.. Not what I want for this area, it has already grown a lot in the 6 mo. I've had it)

Crown princess Marg. (Also heard this one is stingy after first flush)

I like all the above roses, I wouldn't have chosen them if I didn't , but I just can't figure out what to put in this spot, it seems that each one of the above has a couple of downfalls that I don't want to cope with. I know that I'm overthinking... It's just that it will be the focal point of the whole side of the house so I'm a little nervous about making a snap decision. Eeek!

-Jessica.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!