SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hartwood_gw

Suggestions for a Climber that can take the Heat?

hartwood
16 years ago

Good Morning.

I come before the forum to ask for opinions on a rose for a special location. Next spring, I will be building a pergola over the door to our basement-level garage. I'm thinking that it will be about 3-4' deep, attached to the house with large decorative brackets, and painted white to match the house trim. The rose would be planted on the right side of the door, sweeping up and over the top. The left side is a narrow walkway, and I can't plant anything over there.

Here's the spot I'm talking about. This pic is old -- I took it before we did much work on this side of the house. The garage door is replaced now and the ugly holly tree is gone, but this gives you the idea of where I intend the pergola to be.

{{gwi:327264}}

This side of the house faces due south, and we get sun on it almost all day. Toward the middle to end of the afternoon the sun is filtered by some trees, but figure on the rose getting pretty warm next to the brick wall. I have a lot of once-blooming ramblers, but I'm looking for as good a repeat as I can get here. I don't think I'm gonna be picky about color -- I like 'em all. I'm pretty good at keeping everyone-who-needs-it sprayed for fungus, so it's okay to suggest roses that would be better if sprayed. A rose that can get fairly large is also preferable, since this door's height + width is 24'.

Is there a rose that you can think of that would be happy under these circumstances? One that you grow (and preferably love) that will add that special something to this side of the house?

Thanks in advance for any and all help with this.

Blessings,

Connie

Comments (29)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH