SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
twg1572

Mountain Ash Dying - Identify Cause

TWG1572
9 years ago

Hello! First time posting here, long time lurker.

I have three mountain ashes on my property, which were planted by the prior owner. The house was built in 2001, and I'd suspect they were some of the first trees planted. I'm not a huge mountain ash fan, but they seemed to be doing well the last three years we've owned the place so I've simply let them do their thing. Any sort of tree is better than no tree in my book.

The largest started budding out this spring, and half the tree just stalled out and died. Now it seems to slowly be progressing through the rest of the tree, with groups of leaves turning yellow and dying. I'm also seeing lots of branches with "pimples" as you can see in my picture.

I've searched the internet and Fireblight seems to be the likely culprit. But the symptoms don't seem to match exactly, so I'd appreciate any thoughts.

If it is Fireblight, we have a small orchard of apples, peaches, and pears on our property. So I'd like to get the tree removed as quickly as possible to avoid spreading the disease further...and there are the other two mountain ashes to worry about too.

Comments (2)