SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
uvascanyon

'Best' weed trimmer for dependability / maintenance

uvascanyon
13 years ago

After many years of buying and fixing Ryobi trimmers, I made an impulsive buy at Lowe's and got a Husquarvarna last summer. I typically do research before making such a purchase, but didn't on this unit. I had a great experience with one of their chainsaws, and bought it purely on the name. I have not been happy with it...

I'll spare the details, but it's not starting and I've done all the usual stuff (clean intake filter, exhaust, clean / new spark plug, fresh fuel mix, clean carb, etc.)... I'm guessing that it will need a carb rebuild, already.

I just don't want to deal with that so soon, and would prefer getting a new, betterh unit.

With maintenance and rebuilds being necessary, for any gas-powered trimmer, what make / models are best in terms of not needing such attention so often? I'm not one to neglect my tool, don't get me wrong, but I'd like to get more than a few tanks of fuel before facing serious down time...

So what make it best with respect to maintenance? Not sure exactly, but what comes to mind are:

- frequency for such need (as said earlier)

- ease of doing the job on that trimmer

- availably of parts

- cost of parts

Do all units have fuel filters in the tank? Are there some that have thicker, longer lasting fuel lines? Just some things that come-to-mind...

After a fair amount of reading, I'm leaning toward an Echo or a Stihl FS-45.

Thanks any input you might have.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert