SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tepelus

OT: Wildflowers at the Hayes center

13 years ago

Often during the spring through fall, my boyfriend and I take our greyhound for walks around the Hayes Presidential Memorial Center here in Fremont, Ohio. Yesterday we took her for a walk and I noticed a lot of different woodland wildflowers in bloom throughout the grounds, and so today we took her for another walk, with camera in hand, and took some photos of some of the lovelies. My camera is old so the picture quality isn't that great (I so need a new camera!), but I hope you enjoy them, none the less.

All of the white you see in the grass are thousands of Spring Beauties, Claytonia virginica.

{{gwi:213476}}

Close-up picture of Spring Beauties.

{{gwi:213477}}

Unknown little pink wildflowers.

{{gwi:213478}}

Large patch of Trout Lilies, Erythronium americanum, aka Dogtooth Violets.

{{gwi:213479}}

Close-up of the flowers.

{{gwi:213480}}

The white version of the Trout Lily. I have no idea what the little blue flowers are.

{{gwi:213481}}

White Trillium.

{{gwi:213482}}

An unusual tree, don't know what it is, but its trunk is very intriguing. The grounds are full of very old trees, a lot of oaks that are 150 years old and then some, planted when President Hayes was alive. Unfortunately, we saw two very large oaks felled today, and it will be a matter of time before more of the large trees will fall to wind.

{{gwi:213484}}

And President Hayes's house. I sure would like to own a house like that! We took the tour a couple years ago, very beautiful.

{{gwi:213486}}

I should have taken more pictures of the grounds and huge trees. Maybe I will the next time we take the dog for a walk and post them here. Thanks for looking.

Karen

Comments (3)