SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vandtbear1

Craftsman 7 HP 17in. Rear Tine Tiller ( 29427 ) - User Reviews

vandtbear1
19 years ago

Hello all, my first post!

I just bought the Craftsman 7HP Briggs, rear tine tiller this past week (Sears Model 29427). I looked hard at the Troy-Built and Huskee lines (MTD), but decided this one was more bang for your buck. I have read online of the transmission issues, but I was hoping these were just far and few between.

I had been using my neighborÂs rear tine Troy-Built tiller for any new ground breaking plots for a couple of years. I would then use my old 5HP Wizard front tine tiller to re-till each spring and/or weed the walk rows there-after.

I must say that they just don't make new tillers near as sturdy as my old Wizard. Heck the tines on my old Wizard are 3 to 4 times as thick as the ones on the new 7 HP Craftsman?

So I unboxed the new beast, attach the handle, check the oil (full from factory), fill with gas and it starts on the second pull. Took about 10 minutes. I head to my first plot for a test run. It was ready to plant, but a rain a couple of days earlier put a slight crust over it. I was pleased with the speed and ease of use.

I then decided to put it to the test. I started on a new plot. A section of never before tilled lawn, behind my pond. I set the depth guide to 1/2, put the drag stick in notch #2 (or in the up position), set the transmission to turn the tines in reverse, but the wheels move forward. I grabbed on firmly expecting the need to man-handle this beast in a straight line, but it just started turning the soil with little operator effort. I made about 15 passes, 125ft long or so. Hit a few large rocks with nothing more then a slight jump of the tiller. I had to stop twice to remove large clumps of grass that were kind of bull dozed between the wheels and tine shield. Started to deep I suppose, but I just wanted to test this new machine I then set the depth guide as deep as it would go. Went over the new plot a second time, still turning the tines in reverse and that's it. A new plot ready in only about 45 minutes. Bring on the sweet corn!!

The reverse tine option is the best thing since butter met bread when breaking new ground for the first time. Even when breaking new ground, it only took one hand to hold the transmission engage lever and lightly assist the direction of the tiller. I was very impressed. My soil conditions are "Normal". Just compacted top-soil with a small amount of clay. I would have been there for 4 or more hours with my old Wizard and been beat to death.

I have used this tiller for about 6 or 7 hours so far, tilling gardens and wild flower rows, etc. I have had no grinding issues with the transmission. It shifts smoothly with a little click between gears. Hopefully mine is the cream of the crop for that production run.

Overall, I could not be happier with this purchase.

Others, please chime in with your experiences with this tiller.

Comments (23)