SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jtadmin

What lawn mower to purchase? Or do I stick with what I have?

jtadmin
14 years ago

The wife and I just purchased our first home. The lawn is small (http://tinypic.com/r/2ql99wy/3). I currently own a push reel mover that was given to me, which I used to cut the yard this past weekend. After cutting multiple times in some areas because the unit probably needs a good sharpening it took me about 2 hours to cut, rake, and bag up the yard. After it was all said and done I was not happy with the results as it missed a lot of stuff but it looks better than before. Also I didn't mind spending the time outside but since in New Mexico the weather has been in the 90's I am looking for a quick cut and go.

So I have been thinking of getting a gas powered mower, if you think electric would be fine for this size of yard I am open to it, however I am looking to make a "hopefully" one time purchase on a lawn mower that can last me till I am old and grey with "proper maintenance" and I am not sure electric will last. So after checking out this forum and multiple sites I have come down to a handful of mowers. Price is really not an issue as the wife said I can spend as much as I want. So here are the units I am banging my head against the wall that I came up with based on reviews.

Toro 20330 - I like this unit because of the Briggs & Stratton engine which I have heard good things about, the other plus which may or may not be worth anything is the Quick-Wash washout port.

Honda HRR216VXA - I know this unit got slammed on the forums but my boss at work told me to stick with a Honda engine as they last forever so maybe there is a better one I can look at?

Lawn Boy 10641 - I like the green I don't know why, maybe it's because all the other mowers are red, however I have also seen great reviews on this unit.

All these mowers are self propelled as I am thinking about when I am grey and old and still mowing the yard or if the wife feels like mowing one day. However with more moving parts this might be a bad idea if I expect 20-30 years out of a mower. Also I have not gotten up close and personal with these units but as I am 6'4 they also need to be comfortable to push. Any feed back would great.

Thanks,

Joey

Comments (35)