SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
in_mn

2009 Mower review, what I purchased and why (entry level)

in-mn
15 years ago

Hey all,

I spent two weeks getting info on the top three brands. Biggest thing was worrying what tractor could do the basic lawn maint on slopes, etc.

I know a person who burnt out a 2005 craftsman lt2000 on a city block pulling a 40" aerator, flat. Hydro was destroyed. So it forced me to excersize some caution. I do understand that buying a 4000 tractor vs a 1500 increases longevity. Hell, it might last you 15 years instead of 5. However, compounding interest, and actual size dimensions, the Garden tractors didnt seem solid.

The lowdown, I needed a 42" deck, that could do all lawn related tasks (note, not landscaping) well. I also wanted to buy something that could handle slopes, etc, if we ever picked up some Cabin-esque property.

Anyways, heres what I found..

The most impressive machines in terms of construction, quality, frame, turning radius, etc seemed to be Cub Cadet. Their entry level hydro (1042) seemed very solid. Their comfort factor was definately there, and their amenities (4 guarge weels, multiple height settings, etc) were excellent. Unfortunately, the physical size of this machine prohibited my purchasing. It just wouldnt fit in my garage.

Craftsman/Husq definately seemed to be competant machines, and you could pay about $400 less with the sales running however, all their hydros are the same. That baffled me. LT and YT tractors all use the same parts. Sure, the front ends on YT's may be cast iron, but how many people broke front wheels off vs blew hydros? Knowing what happened to a friends lt 2000 (friends 65 yr old dad actually), I really hoped the craftsman YT 3000/4000 used more solid drivetrain parts, but unfortunately they didnt. I was even told by the salesman that the YT would make me notice some slowdown on slopes for my house. He really recommended manual. I said, well at least are manual trannies made differently?

...Nope, they dont change untill you get to the Garden tractor series.

So now on to Deere's 100 series.

Deere has the most information about their product on their website vs competitors. Deere was in the middle of the pack really, yet priced the same as cub cadet. They use better steel than CR/Husq, but not as good as CC. Their decks dont come with 4 guage wheels, but the actual deck is a little thicker. Their warranties werent as long or promising as Cub Cadet. Their attachments arent as available as the other brands, in fact, this massive deere dealer was out of 3in1 blades, but they did seem to be built more solidly and deere flat out said what they can handle.

Craftsman sales reps said they could handle any attachment sold by sears, but they never listed them for legal purposes. Craftsman repair techs said they really shouldnt be doing x,y, and z.

Cubcadet can handle, but they are not as blatant in listing it as deere. Deere even included a recommendation tool to have you choose your tasks and it picks the tractor best suited for your needs.

I am ashamed to drive a Deere. I always swore that they werent as nice as CC, at least at the entry level, and people too often paid for the brand. If someone came to me and said, what should I buy? John Deere vs Craftsman / Husqvarna vs Cub Cadet? I would ask them what they want to do.

Cut lawns & rake = Craftsman all the way. You can get a solid mower for flatter yards + bagger for about $1500

If they wanted to do all lawn maintinence, aerating, dethatching, cutting, pulling light carts (trees, plants, mulch, etc), I would recommend a Cub Cadet 1042.

However, if you want to do all this, but the previous owner of your house built a shed door rediculously short, then a smaller profiled deere definately fits the bill. I have seen an LA 135 plug aerate a non moistened 2 acre lot without skipping a beat, and I know (thanks to the deere website) that this tranny is available from the 115 on up to 165 (new tranny due to bigger tires/hp).

..and my 4'10 wife likes using it, yet its comfortable enough for me clocking in around 6'

Oh, and plus side, i get a free hat. Too bad it cost me an extra $200 ;)

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz
More Discussions