SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanb_tx

Need expert advice on purchasing used riding mowers

susanb_TX
14 years ago

My current John Deere LT115 just died on me after 1-1/2 yrs - bought used. Will cost about $5-700 to repair and no guarantees. So I'm looking for another one but can't afford a new one. Doesn't have to be a John Deere but I know a lot of people swear by them.

The repairman has two mowers for sale - one is a Craftsman LT2000 (I had been advised previously by a repairman to avoid Craftsman at all costs). Its about 2 years old (or 2007 maybe?), has a new engine, 12 ga., 40-42" deck, 18.5 HP, has a larger motor and is asking $575.00.

The other is a John Deere 317 and he just got it today (NOT a HD or Lowes). I researched this one a little and understand they quit making them in 1983 which means it is very old. Has a new seat, auto lift 48" deck, Kohler Magnum 18 HP engine, he putting on one new tire and a new battery. Don't know the asking price yet. Is it worth taking a chance just cuz its a JD? and if so, at what price?

I was looking for a JD LA105 or 115 under $1,000 but one got away and haven't found any others.

Our lot is 1 acre, less the house footprint, with uneven terrain, not much grass but lots of weeds and tree stumps which I've flagged. I need a low maintenance machine but one that will last and do the job. What are your thoughts on other makes and models? and recs. for me?

Comments (25)

Sponsored