SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hbcsc153

Advice Needed on a Used Mclane Reel Mower

hbcsc153
15 years ago

Hello!

I live in Southern California (San Fernando Valley) and have about 5,000 sq. ft of Bermudagrass. The gardener we have cuts it once a week with a regular powered mower. Was told that I should cut with a Reel type mower. Anyway, picked up a McLane 17 inch on Craiglist for $75. Thought that getting it serviced would be best, and the nearest lawn mower placed wanted $375 to replace belts and service it. He said that it seems bearly used, and was a 1980 (I think) model. Decided that it was not worth the money. The buddy who went with me said that he will give it a shot to start it up. He changed the gas and replaced the air filter. Second pull it started up fine.

The gardener says that the blades need to be sharpened, but not sure. After reading this forum, I am not sure how I should proceed. My options would be to lower the cutting height and try it again, get the blades sharpened (approximately how much to sharpen) and try, to just put it back on Criagslist and let gardener continue with his "weed spreading" mower, or some other option.

Experts, please recommend.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Emil

Comments (7)