SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
milacqua

What exactly is 'RIO' on a Deere mower?

milacqua
13 years ago

I was thinking of getting a Deere x300 mower and came across something called "RIO". I looked it up and it stands for Reverse Implement Option. Well, that still did not mean anything to me so I did a search here and found that it is a switch of some sort that prevents cutting in reverse. I have a Craftsman that keeps the blades going no matter if you go forward or reverse. I understand it is a good feature if you have kids or pets but I have neither and do not want to be constantly pushing or pulling a lever or switch to get the tractor to move in reverse.

My question is how does this work? Is it in fact a lever or switch of some sort that must be pulled or pushed if you want to go in reverse? If so, I can see that as a real PITA! My search here showed several ways to disable this but the posts were several years old so I don't know if the methods shown would work on newer models. Besides, I really don't want to fiddle with the thing that way because of warranty issues and what not. I guess I am looking for an explanation in real user terms of how this "RIO" works and what is involved in operating the machine with it enabled.

Comments (30)

Sponsored
More Discussions