SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jayanti_gw

Pruning my tea list

jayanti
13 years ago

I moved last year(within the same suburb north of Dallas) and have since spent an unlawful amount of time dreaming about my garden. Some of my foundational shrubs and trees are in but I'm having trouble deciding on which tea roses I NEED to plant. Apparently, I want them all! I keep reading and researching hoping to cull from my list; however, I just find more roses that I want. Please cure me of my wantitis.

My shortlist (now a longlist):

Mrs. BR Cant

Duchesse de Brabant

Mrs. DudleyCross

William R Smith

Etoile de Lyon

Alexander Hill Gray/Soncy (are they the same rose?)

Mme. JosephSchwartz

Le pactole

M. Tillier

Mme. Lombard

Maman Cochet

Mme Antoine Marie

Georgetown tea

Le Vesuve

General Schablikine

Mme Berkeley

Souv. de Pierre Notting

Puerto Rico

Rival de paestum

Rubens

Baronne henrietta de snoy

Triomphe du luxemborg

Alliance Franco Russe

McClinton tea

G nabonnand

Odee pink

Spice

Miss Atwood

Marie D'orleans

Madame Wagram

Francis Dubreuil

Lady Hillingdon

In the interest of full disclosure, I admit that I also want

Sdlm, Belinda's Dream, Ducher, Jean Bach Sisley, Caldwell Pink, Cramoisi Superieur, Cecille Brunner, Perle d'or, White pet, Katherina zeimet, Marie Pavie, Kronprinzessin victoria, and Jefferson Rose.

So please help me figure out which roses are a MUST HAVE, which ones are a maybe, and which ones are not worth the garden space. I'm a no-spray gardener; so good health/disease resistance is a top priority. Other criteria include beauty of bloom and shrub, and possibly fragrance. Also, I'm not too keen on those with especially beastly, wicked thorns unless the blooms are to die for- in which case, what's a little blood?

Some past history (in case its helpful): My previous garden was very small and I grew the following- Belinda's dream, Caldwell Pink, White Pet, Katherina Zeimet (loved all of them), The Fairy (not thrilled about her thorns, so will not replant), and Climbing Pinkie (too bright for me, so will not replant).

Sorry for the long post. I'd greatly appreciate your advice/comments/suggestions. Also, any local info regarding size of the shrubs (since it seems to vary widely), and habit (upright/spreading) would be very helpful. Oh, and some of the shrubs may need to be able to tolerate some shade. So comments in that regard would also be very helpful.

Thanks so much !

Jayanti

Comments (30)

• ronda_in_carolina
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I have a few on your list:

Mrs. BR Cant...On my list for this year
    Duchesse de Brabant...I will NEVER be without this rose. Blooms constantly like spring flush
    Mrs. DudleyCross...Fantastic rose! A real fav
    M. Tillier...blooms not my favorite, look rough unless freshly opened
    Puerto Rico.....Not impressed, hated the fade
    Francis Dubreuil.....LOVE this rose
    Lady Hillingdon.....A beauty, not flashy

I don't spray or pamper my roses and the ones I have all are great on disease resistance.

Good luck
    :o)
    Ronda

• Related Discussions

Pruning climbing Teas

Q

Comments (12)
    There are many variety of roses, that one can grow in a garden to beautify it. Climbing rose is one such variety, that is trained on a trellis, wall, or clambered into a tree, and when in full bloom, is one of the most delightful sights in the garden. Pruning climbing roses requires attention to maintain its healthy growth and increase the number of new sprouts. Most climbing roses need seasonal and light pruning to expose them to light and air. Here are some tips to prune climbing roses. One of the most essential requirements of pruning is a good gardening tool; a sharp pair of shears (garden scissors), in different sizes. A jagged end will damage the delicate stems, and bud growth. Climbing roses are not self-trailing, they need to be trained onto a garden trellis or a horizontal support fencing. If left to its own design, they become a tangled mess of branches with very few and unhealthy flowers. Pruning should be done any time between late autumn and late winter, as by then, the flowering season is over, and the climber has shed its leaves. It is easier to prune when the plants are bare, as they allow a better idea of its trailing route. Read more at Buzzle: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/pruning-climbing-roses-how-to-prune-climbing-roses.html Here is a link that might be useful: artificial grass orange county
    ...See More

Summer pruning hybrid teas

Q

Comments (8)
    Masha, I too will be interested in the response to this thread... My very young hybrid teas are fat and lush and full, even the one that Monster Rabbit ate 2/3rds of! but it's because I deadhead them down to at least the 5 leaf division and will cut off as much as a foot of stem/leaves. I will also hack any lurcher stems to force the lower stems to catch up... Only occasionally will I leave the 3 stemmers... But AlexH and MichaelG, pardon my ignorance, but I used to think I was doing severe pruning, whereas upon reading your post, mine is more like severe deadheading, cutting way below, the normal 5 leaf-prong if the bush just happened to be lankier on one side... And I never cut more than 2' of stems so I guess I'm not a "true meanie" pruner as I thought I was, LOL! Masha, MichaelG what are your thoughts...Wouldn't(severe deadheading), help maintain that fat shape and also help keep the blooms "continuous"? It seems to work for me... EEEEKS, Alex! I can't imagine you having to wait several weeks for blooms--that would drive me crazy! I love getting continuous blooms... For me, the combination of "so-called severe deadheading" and my Garden-ville tea (seaweed/fish emulsion-possibly alfalfa composted) works wonders in terms of encouraging basal breaks and new stem growth...But it's also natural growth, unlike hyper-fertilization in which you get crazy blooming that unfortunately ruins the soil... If you want I can post photos of my Lincolns' foliage... Mister Lincoln is especially notorious for naked legs, one cane-wonder, etc. etc. But mine are the opposite... really nice even distribution of foliage, very bushy...
    ...See More

Pruning my hybrid tea rose and scraping bud union

Q

Comments (10)
    One of the older conventions of rose care is to cut way back on a one-cane wonder to force more new canes. It doesn't work. It's kinda like beating a sick child to make it stronger, IMHO. If you really want the rose to get stronger, what I do is dig it up and pot it in good potting soil and in a pot that is not too big for the root system (otherwise they're susceptible to root rot if the pot is too big). Then I baby it along and see if I can get it to revitalize. If it's only got one cane, it's because it's weak and not growing well. Pruning off what little top growth it has will only weaken it more. Vigorous plants respond to heavy pruning by growing more, but weak plants die. I'd wait til normal spring pruning time to prune back Mr. L. I find that fall pruning in my climate, at least, results in increased cane canker from exposing cut wood to wet winter weather. Yes wind whipping can be a problem but it's better to stake and tie in most cases. You can indeed prune into old gray wood, so long as you see a bud. I'd only do a third or half the canes that way at one pruning and wait for the next year to do the others. I have revitalized old improperly pruned roses that way, but that was in mild California with long growing seasons and gentle winters. I haven't tried it here.
    ...See More

I just planted my first hybrid tea roses in Oct. Do I prune them?

Q

Comments (18)
    Ani, leaves harbor pest eggs and disease spores. By removing the leaves you open the canes up so they can be sprayed with the Neem or a dormant oil spray. It really has nothing to do with hardiness or root growth, just the general health of the plant. Roses in our local climate start to drop their oldest leaves as a natural growth cycle. By removing the leaves, we're doing what nature is going to do for us anyway. The only spray I use in my garden is one round of Volck's Dormant Oil spray after I prune in January. When using any oil-based spray, the temperature has to be under 60F, including reflected heat coming off block walls, so it can be tough getting even one round sprayed. The dormant oil spray helps to suffocate eggs and spores and should only be sprayed when the roses have no leaves. Because I often have roses from other people's yards come through mine for raffles or trades, I'm also trying to keep a disease called San Jose Scale out of my garden. Some great nurseries to purchase roses from in the metro-Phoenix area are Berridges, 4600 block E Camelback, Bakers, 40th Str & Osborn and Harpers, Hayden, south of Thomas. These aren't the only nurseries, of course, but they're well-known for quality roses and knowledge of rose culture.
    ...See More
  • thonotorose
    13 years ago

Write all the names on pieces of papers and put them in a hat. Decide on your present budget and time constraints and draw that many names.

Then come back here and ask about size and such for your location decisions.

After those are in go for round two.

That said:

Mrs BRC must, very large,
    DDB must, large
    Mrs J Schwartz must, large
    AHG butter cream large blooms, stupendous
    Le Vesuve ask Sherry... a must
    Rubens, only has one good season here. There are better roses.
    Alliance Franco Russe, new to me, lovely blooms and a smaller plant.
    Miss Atwood, thornless and absolutely luminous. A great repeater here.
    Spice, a must
    Francis Debreuil, in my experience, a sickly plant. I have my second twig I am nursing along because of that smell.

• jacqueline9CA
    13 years ago

Two most must haves on your list for me would be Le Vesuve and Duchesse de Brabant. Both have grown in my garden for almost 100 years (seriously), with no care whatever for at least 50 years, and not only lived, but thrived, & bloomed & are still there and thriving and blooming.

Another one that also did that in my garden that I do not see on your list is Anna Olivier. That one may be hard to find in commerce - check out Vintage Gardens in a year or so - they lost their mother plant, but I am going to provide cuttings of mine to them in May, and they said they definitely want to make it available again.

Jackie

• organic_tosca
    13 years ago

With the exception of Cecile Brunner, I haven't grown the roses on your list, but we do have a lot of them in the Historic Rose Garden at the Old Sacramento Cemetery, and I have worked on them and admired particular ones.
    MME. ANTOINE MARI - Exquisite. Not huge. The form and coloration of the blossom are to die for.
    MME. LOMBARD - gets big in the cemetery. I love this rose.
    MONS. TILLIER - gets really, REALLY big. I first saw it in its autumn flush and was totally smitten by the bronzy, bricky colors.
    CECILE BRUNNER - I've only had her for a few years, but she is doing well and is really adorable, with a dense, full foliage and perfect miniature Tea Roses. This rose is also listed on Gregg Lowery's list of roses that will tolerate some shade. People tell me it will get very big, unless you have the original small shrub - I'm not sure which one is mine, as it so far has a small and dainty look, but I guess that could change. I've certainly seen large (and wonderful-looking) C.B.s around Sacramento and elsewhere in Northern California.
    PERLE D'OR - gets quite big in the Cemetery garden. I've read that it's suitable for container culture, but I think probably not in Sacramento!! Really healthy, as far as I know.
    Full disclosure of my own: These are all roses that appeal strongly to my personal taste, so take my opinions with a grain of salt!

Laura

• redbirds
    13 years ago

I can't' recommend Mrs. B.R. Cant enough, she is totally awesome for me. She smells fantastic, blooms constantly, and has mostly healthy foliage all the time.

• jerijen
    13 years ago

My cousin in Houston tells me that Mons. Tillier and Mrs. Dudley Cross are the two healthiest, most carefree roses in her garden.

Jeri In SoCal

• ogrose_tx
    13 years ago

Hi Jayanti, I too live in a suburb north of Dallas and grow the following roses on your list and recommend all of them for our area.

Belinda's Dream - LOVE this rose!
    Duchesse de Brabant
    Sdlm
    G nabonnand
    Jean Bach Sisley

as well as others not on your list - Cl Pinkie, Lamarque, Goldbusch (what a surpise - it was sent as a substitute and is gorgeous), Mme Alfred de Carrierre, among others.

I am no spray, fertilize with alfalfa, and this is the third and fourth year for many, they seem to thrive in this area.

Have you been to the Farmers Branch Earthkind test garden? Really cool... and it will be putting on quite a show right now.

ogrose

• gardennatlanta
    13 years ago

Jayanti:

First of all, let me say you have excellent taste. I've grown many of these and others are on my "wish I had enough room" list

Mrs. BR Cant--love it. Beautiful, loads of blooms, very little black spot. I was told once that it's the rose to grow if you want your neighbors to say, "the guy with the roses."
    Duchesse de Brabant - one of my all time favorites. Love the bloom form, the amount of rebloom, the fragrance and usually gets very little bs in my garden.
    Mme Antoine Marie - love the blooms, very delicate. She's fairly new so I don't know much about performance at maturity
    Georgetown tea - just got it. LOVE the blooms and the fragrance. I can't wait for it to grow up.
    Souv. de Pierre Notting - a really pretty yellow. It's really too young to say much but so far, so good.
    Sdlm--had it, replaced it with Mystic Beauty--MB looks the same, it just doesn't ball and the blooms don't spot in the rain.
    Belinda's Dream, Wonderful HUGE blooms, a soft light fragrance that isn't always there. Gets some bs in my garden.
    Ducher - had it, really, really tried to like it. Got bs like nobody's business and it left my garden.
    Jean Bach Sisley- new, love the soft blooms. I've heard it's a bloom machine but haven't had it long enough to say for myself.
    Caldwell Pink - love this rose. I have 2 in pots. They bloom and bloom. Gets very little bs. love the little pink blooms wish it had fragrance. Nice small rose.
    Cecille Brunner - Got it last year. Right now it's covered in bs. I'm not happy.
    Perle d'or -- the blooms are a beautiful apricot and very cute, blooms fairly well. My bush has just been very, very slow to establish. Can't decide about this one.
    Marie Pavie - had it, tried to like it, didn't. I have Marie Daley instead now and like it much, much better.
    Jefferson Rose - I was given cuttings and was excited because of the name. It's cute but seems to get some bs and has very little fragrance.

The following are ones that I liked well enough to purchase recently (last fall or this spring). I have a small garden and have to be very selective.

William R Smith
    Etoile de Lyon
    Alexander Hill Gray
    Mme. Joseph Schwartz
    Le Pactole
    Mons. Tillier
    Mme. Lombard
    Maman Cochet
    G. Nabonnand
    Spice
    Miss Atwood
    Marie D'Orleans
    Lady Hillingdon
    White Pet
    Katherina Zeimet,
    Kronprinzessin Viktoria,

A rose you didn't mention that is in my top 5 favorites is Devoneisis. It's a beautiful white with a touch of blush, the fragrance is amazing--the kind that makes you smile, sigh and go back for another whiff. It's been slow to establish but so worth it.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your beautiful new roses. Jeff

• sabalmatt_tejas
    13 years ago

I live in the N Oakcliff section of Dallas. The following are some of my faves and have grown very well for me: Kronprinzessin Viktoria, Souv De La Malmaison, Maggie, Carefree Beauty, Mr. Bluebird, Purple Buttons, Belinda's Dream, Mme Jospeh Schwartz, Mrs BR Cant, Mutablis, Pink Gruss an Aachen, Francis Dubreuil, Spice, Ducher, Marie Pavie (a workhorse), Perle D'or, Monsieur Tillier, Smith's Parish, Purple Popcorn, Intl Herald Tribune, Louis Phillipe, White Pearl in a Red Dragons MOuth, Vincent Godsiff, Ms Atwood, Old Gay Hill, Julia CHild, Hot Cocoa, Livin Easy, Easy Does it, Homerun, Colorific, Playgold, Climbing Cramoisi Sup, Natchitoches Noisette, Champney's Pink Cluster, Celine Forestier, Reve D'Or, Manchester Gaurdian Angel, Pleasant Hill Cemetary, Sweet Chariot, Thomas Affleck, Ruth's Red China, Midnight Blue, Ebb Tide, Arethusa, Blue Mist, Sunshine, Lauren, Tissue, White Cecile Brunner, Rte 66, Wild Blue Yonder. The only tea that I have not cared for is Rubens.

• melissa_thefarm
    13 years ago

It's a glorious group of roses, of course. I wish I had every rose on your list, but I don't. I'll comment only on a few I've had a while and love.
    'Mrs. B.R. Cant' is huge, fragrant, healthy, beautiful, with deep pink, cupped flowers. 'M. Tillier' is our 'Archduke Jospeh', I believe. This is a great big plant with particularly fine foliage, beautiful scented flowers of complex color. I ADORE 'Mme. Antoine Mari', the last word in elegance, with long buds opening to beautiful flowers of whipped cream edged with lilac pink. Dark foliage, red new growth, Tea scent. I hear this rose cited as one that doesn't get huge, but mine reaches 7'x5', with considerable cutting back. When well fed its flowers can be quite large and full; in other seasons they're semi-double but still very pretty. 'General Schablikine' is another elegant, lovely rose.
    'Francis Dubreuil' is rumored to be the early Hybrid Tea 'Barcelona'. It's a twiggy, tough plant with deeply colored, extemely fragrant blooms. Mine has been growing on me over time, as it's holding its own in an ungrateful spot: a worthy rose.
    I have several others on your list, but they're still too young for me to have formed an opinion about them. There's no rose you name I wouldn't be proud to have.
    Your secondary list is also excellent. Why don't you have 'Sanguinea' anywhere? This is a China, some argue a Tea, with single blazing scarlet flowers on a dense, full bush, oh so deeply satisfying. It may go under a different name in the U.S.
    Somehow I think you're not going to receive much encouragement to shorten your want list here.
    Melissa

• sherryocala
    13 years ago

Mrs. BR Cant - BIG bush; gorgeous, large, smelly flowers; BIG bush; very healthy - I don't get any BS on mine.
    Duchesse de Brabant - had it, didn't like the way the thrips loved it, fell in love with the blooms on a cutting I rooted that was in partial shade (deeper color and more cupped than in all-day sun) so I planted it again. We'll see.
    Mrs. DudleyCross - Gone, to me a very non-descript rose in her 2nd year, kept waiting for her to do something, and was getting too big for her spot. But TX folks love her.
    Etoile de Lyon - don't have unless Bermuda's Anna Olivier is really her. BAO is a wonderful rose, healthy, loves the heat, gorgeous huge blooms that finish very badly. You won't forget to deadhead this one.
    Alexander Hill Gray/Soncy (are they the same rose?) - Just got AHG in November. Beautiful medium yellow that finishes paler. I think I'm going to like him.
    M. Tillier - gone, got BIG fast, upright vase shape, flowers were really small in the heat, maybe half-dollar size. Disappointing here.
    Mme. Lombard - took MT's spot, love the flower colors, large really double blooms at least so far this spring, she'll be BIG.
    Maman Cochet - Blooms are to die for like big, fat HTs that open wide and fluffy, thicker caned than most other teas and it grows big (5' tall now) but slowly here, being very angular and open, slow to fill out and be bushy in 2-1/2 years. I think I still love her but right now she has thrips...like many others. Maybe this will be her year to fill out.
    Mme Antoine Marie - she doesn't seem to like me. This spring I think something is wrong since she hasn't bloomed much at all.
    Le Vesuve - Magnificent rose, blooms all the time not in flushes, give him a big spot (I'm fighting to keep mine in a 6' circular bed, but he doesn't mind trimming), he grows in a dense tangled mass - no see-through, solid leaves & flowers, no fragrance but spectacular coloration of red & pink, beautiful flower form!!
    General Schablikine - loved this rose and his odd flowers & brick color, I think he's in too much shade now, not blooming much, maybe summer will help. Definitely put him in sun.
    Souv. de Pierre Notting - mine is young but I think he'll be great, supposed to be smaller, under 5' maybe.
    Spice - used to have, flowers were small and not noticeable, but she is a wonderfully healthy, well-leafed bush, probably can get big if left alone, doesn't mind being cut back.
    Marie D'orleans - probably bailed on her too soon, she was merely reacting to insufficient water which I was too dumb to know, loved her quilled flowers and deep color.

I love Clotilde Soupert (2 bushes & the climber), hugely double smallish abundant blooms, fragrant, gloriously healthy, well-leafed (solid) bush, only balls with thrips (AARGH!) Today I removed all of her many flowers and she's still the prettiest rose bush I have. Handles some shade well.

Louis Philippe - I'm madly in love with him and his cherry candy scent, does better for me than Cramoisi Superieur ever thought of doing (including the climber)

Reve d'Or - simply magnificent.

Mme Antoine Rebe - red tea, lives happily on the north side of my house in a lot of shade, enchanting irregular semi-double flower form, kind of butterfly, kind of whirligig.

Gruss an Aachen - gorgeous flowers & smell, fairly small, total winner

Sweet Chariot - purple, healthy, is happy in a pot, not little. I have two.

SdlM - no-brainer beautiful & healthy here, loves heat & apparently humidity

Capitaine Dyel de Graville - sport of SdlM, beautiful color, little different flower form, great fragrance

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

• thonotorose
    13 years ago

Jackie,

Is that the peach form? >>> I am going to provide cuttings of mine to them in May, and they said they definitely want to make it available again.

• thonotorose
    13 years ago

Jayanti,

You simply must add Maggie to your list. A wondrous rose...

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    13 years ago

I haven't grown any of those long enough. Teas don't like to grow from little bands for me here, lol. If it helps, Odee Pink, Maman Cochet and Adam are all still around and trying well; I'm excited about this year with them. It's the early spring (very) wet and cold when they always struggle if small, for me.

BR Cant and Duchesse de Brabant's white sport didn't like me at all that way. I've tried BR Cant twice, too! You're warmer, so that should help, I'd think.

I have a question I've been wanting to ask, and your post has folks thinking about these roses, so please let me jump in:

How do Triomphe de Luxembourg and Baron Henriette de Snoy compare and differ, if anyone knows at all? Thanks!

• random_harvest
    13 years ago

I agree with all the other Texas growers recommendations with the exception of SDLM, which was a big disappointment for me what with its poor opening, runty bush, and insipid color.

Also want to emphasize how great Georgetown Tea is for us Dallas-area folks. It would be in my top three must haves, the other two being Mrs. BR Cant and Duchesse de Brabant, edging out even Mrs. Dudley Cross, my first tea love.

• ogrose_tx
    13 years ago

C'mon, guys, now you're enabling me - with my horrible addiction I MUST add some of your recommendations this Fall.

Now to get to work on yet another flower bed...

• barbarag_happy
    13 years ago

Georgetown Tea's delicate colors and generous bloom offset the evil thorns IMHO but she did rip my favorite denim shirt right off my back! Have heard she resembles Mme. Lombard so you may not "need" both!

• barbarag_happy
    13 years ago

Survey results from about a year ago:
    1.Monsieur Tillier
    2.Mrs. B R Cant / Lady Hillingdon
    3.Duchesse de Brabant / Mrs. Dudley Cross
    5.Mme. Berkeley / Rosette Delizy / Mme. Lambard
    8.Mme.Cochet/Baronne Henriette de Snoy/Clementina/Georgetown Tea

I left Monsieur Tillier and Mrs. B R Cant out of my tea border (Due to their size) and have regretted it ever since!

• jayanti
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow! Such helpful replies! I can't thank you all enough!

I'm thrilled to see that Mrs. B.R. Cant receives bouquets of praise. I love this magnificent rose and hope to make her the focal point of my backyard.

Ronda- Monsieur Tillier's blooms seem to draw mixed reviews. Something to think about... Disappointing (but helpful to know) that Puerto Rico fades poorly. Glad to hear that Francis Dubreuil is healthy for you and doesn't need to be fussed over.

Ingrid- Very helpful shade information. Does Mme Lombard take some shade? How big are Mme Lombard, Le Vesuve, William R Smith and Miss Atwood for you? How hot do your summers get? Sounds pretty hot if it can fry so many tea roses!

thonotorose- Your suggestion that I draw names out of a hat had me laughing! Btw, is your Alliance franco russe healthy? Also, you're right- I think I must add fragrant Maggie but I've read that she gets bs often. Do you find her healthy?

Jackie- Wow, 100 year old roses! Do you have pictures to share? Amazing! I take it that the Anna Olivier you speak of is not Bermuda Anna Olivier which is believed to be Etoile de lyon?

Laura- Mme. Antoine Marie is another rose that seems to delight everyone. So Cecille Brunner (bush) and Perle d'or can get really big? Well... didn't they know that they were polyanthas not big ole tea roses? How am I supposed to fit them in?

redbirds- Thanks for another vote of confidence for Mrs. B.R. Cant.

Jeri- Thanks for sharing that M.Tillier and MDC are trouble free in Houston. They do seem more carefree here in Texas. Both were recently declared Earthkind.

ogrose- Someone from Dallas! And a no-spray organic gardener, no less. Happy to hear that Ddb, Sdlm, G Nabonnand and Jean Bach Sisley do well for you. Haven't been to the Farmer's branch Earthkind garden yet. It's on my to do list.

Jeff- I'm excited that you grow so many of the roses on my list! Thank you for sharing that information about Mystic Beauty (v. Sdlm). I think I'll give them both a try! Its interesting that Marie Daly is so much better for you than Marie Pavie; I thought they only differed in color. Curiously, it is Marie Daly that has the Earthkind designation not Marie Pavie. Hmm... Was MP unhealthy for you or was there something else about it that you did not like? And Ducher covered in bs.. uh oh! Perhaps it does better in Texas? You know I can't believe I forgot to mention Devoniensis and Westside Road Cream tea. I want those too! I want to smile and sigh over Devoniensis! I hope it is healthy for you?

sabalmatt dallas- Another Dallas gardener! Glad to hear Ducher, Maggie and Marie Pavie do well for you . Do you spray Maggie and Marie Pavie? How big is your Natchitoches noisette ?

Melissa- Your Mme. Antoine Marie is quite big; I'd hoped it might stay a bit smaller. How big is your General Schablikine? I'm not familiar with Sanguinea- perhaps it goes by another name here?

Sherry- I've been seriously considering Gruss An Aachen. Do you find it healthy? I'm also intrigued by Sweet Chariot. How big is it? Also, do you find SdPN healthy? Your Le Vesuve sounds wonderful. How tall is he? Etoile de Lyon sounds great too although it doesn't seem to finish well. Very helpful to know that too. Maman Cochet and AHG sound luscious.

Meredith- Sorry to hear that Ddb and Mrs.BRC didn't work out for you. I lived in NC many years ago and can attest to the fact that 7b Texas is much warmer than 7b NC. I do hope that Odee pink, Maman Cochet and Adam work out for you.

random harvest- From DFW! Thanks for the strong endorsement of Georgetown Tea (as well as Ddb and Mrs.BRC). Very helpful.

Barbara- Thank you so much for posting the survey results! That's super helpful! Was this a survey of favorite tea roses? Also good to know about Georgetown Tea's thorns. That'll help me place her appropriately. How big is yours?

Again, these comments are so helpful! I need to be selective since space is premium (isn't it always?), and I need gorgeous survivors that can withstand Texas heat, the concrete like clay that passes for soil (of course I'll amend it), and my no spray ways. Plus, I'm trying to save myself some heartbreak since I can be a sentimental fool who has a hard time bidding goodbye. So thanks again, for the generous comments.

Jayanti

• MissSherry
    13 years ago

I used to have Monsieur Tillier, and I loved the color, but the flowers were always small.
    I agree with Mrs. B.R. Cant, but nobody has mentioned General Gallieni or Marie vanHoutte, two of the very best!
    Sherry

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

Jayanti, since you mentioned Westside Road Cream Tea, I have this rose and it's a healthy, bushy and not too large tea, but I must say that for me the flowers for much of the year are less than shapely. If I were to do it over again, I would not have this rose, but it's too healthy to give up and may improve with age.

I can't say much about the size of the teas I have since mine is a young garden and these roses are far from mature. I would say Alexander Hill Gray so far at least is by far the smallest, and the others all have the potential to become quite large. Having said that, most teas can be kept at about 6 feet tall and wide, some perhaps smaller. I don't know how Madame Lambard would do in shade but you can always try, and move the rose if it's not happy.

Ingrid

• onederw
    13 years ago

Hi Jayanti -- I'm always reluctant to weigh in on roses grown in very different climates from my own (inland southern California), but I'm guessing that the summer heat is about the same in Texas as it is here, which is to say hot.
    I have some of the roses on your list, and I used to have some of the others.
    Francis Dubreuil, aka Barcelona, is now magnificent, but it took awhile. Frankie is petite (I've heard some say puny), and he was unhappily dwarfed by some of his taller confreres in the garden. It wasn't until I plunked him into a pot and gave him some afternoon shade that he came into his own. Otherwise his lovely and fragrant deep red blooms crisp in a heartbeat.
    Monsieur Tillier -- Oui oui! But his blooms do get smaller, much smaller, in the heat of the summer.
    Lady Hillingdon met Mr. Shovel. As a shrub, she just refused to thrive. If the three year plan is Sleep, Creep, Leap, she never got past year one. There was a thread here a couple of months ago which leads me to suspect that Climbing Lady H. is much more vigorous than the shrub. There is also the problem of her nodding blooms. On a shrub this means bending over and looking up to appreciate them.
    Marie Pavie also met Mr. Shovel. Does not play well with others -- too many horizontal mega-thorny canes. Worse yet, her wilted blooms seemed to stay glued to the plant. That big brown mess hung on till it had to be pried off manually.
    Gruss an Aachen -- a hit. I have two in part shade, which they seem to enjoy.
    Hope this helps,
    Kay

• luxrosa
    13 years ago

Our organic method Old Rose garden has these Tea and Tea like roses that thrive here where condtions favor p.m. more months of the year than blackspot:
    these I consider to be A list Tea roses and I would buy them first:
    Mrs. B.R. Cant
    a larger bloom and deeper pink than Duchess de Brabant and I consider both to be Must have Pink Tea roses along with the China-Tea Le Vesuve which has very rapid rebloom,, and
    Mme. Antoine Mari, which gets lightly covered with p.m. but no loss of leaves nor bloom production.
    Mrs. Dudley Cross, very healthy and quite smooth stemmed.
    Souvenir de Pierre Notting, a lovely Tea rose that has large blooms. I'd give it a few hours of filtered shade to keep it from bleaching out in the hot summer sun.
    Etoille de Lyon: can be kept to c. 5' in zone 7 a useful size and easy to espalier in a narrow space.
    Lady Hillingdon and the apricot form of Anna Olivier are also healthy A list Tea roses and most Teas are pale or light hues so these are very welcome in a Tea rose garden.
    plus A.O. is the most strongly scented of all the Tea roses to my nose.
    The white Tea roses, such as Niphetos and Devoniensis can be Divas depending on cultivation and situation, the ones I've found to be easy to grow are:
    Westside Road Cream Tea" I adore this fragrant white Tea rose, and bought two of them. W.R.C.T. is far more resistant to p.m. than Ducher which defoliated and was shovel pruned.

Le Pactole" I had to leave mine behind when I moved, a great loss for it takes ages to build size and is worth every second of waiting. Exquisitly elegant blooms.

Caveat Rosa:
    I shovel pruned my "Georgetown Tea" it was far too sickly from p.m. to keep in my garden, it defoliated c. 90% of its leaves.
    Mme. Lombard is borderline for p.m. resistance here,yet although it is covered with a thin icing of p.m. it neither defoliates nor decreases bloom production. As an organic method gardener I'm used to ignoring this amount of p.m..

Mme. Berkeley is quite resistant to powdery mildew in our area, but I have heard from folks elsewhere that it is not as resistant to blackspot as some other Tea roses. I love it and have it outside my living room window so I can see her often.
    I prefer Monsieur Tillier to Gen. S. for color and M.T is slightly healthier in our garden.
    The Triomphe du Luxembourg we received appeared like a plainer version of Mlle. Franziska K. and I regret ordering 3 of these.
    "Alliance Franco-Russe" shows less resistance to p.m. than Etoile de Lyon and Souvenir de Pierre Notting.

best wishes for a beautiful Tea rose garden.

Luxrosa.

• thonotorose
    13 years ago

Maggie is vigorous here though she does get some bs. I have a very high tolerance for it. I would say she is a continuous bloomer

AFR is still small, but so far she is looking great. I do not spray.

Veronica

• collinw
    13 years ago

Mrs. BR Cant (amazing in bloom, gets some BS but it does not slow her down, huge.)

Duchesse de Brabant (unlike any other tea that I have experience with, IMHO. Very lovely and delicate blooms, was slow to build to size for me, but now quite lovely.)

William R Smith (amazing blooms, occasionally ball in wet weather, very large blooms with a lot of substance to the petals. Really love this rose, very large.)

Le pactole (another one that has been slow to build,nice white)
    M. Tillier (I personally do not mind the decreased size of the bloom in the heat of summer, the form is wonderful and that coppery undertone is best in person and one of my favorites. A monster, very large.)

Mme. Lombard (I just started this one from cuttings last year. But the plant that I took the cuttings from is in a local cemetery and is around 15 ft. tall and 20 ft. wide. Probably around 100 years old based upon the nearby grave markers. Amazing in bloom, new blooms are lighter in the center and darker around the edges of the bloom. The older blooms are darker.)

Maman Cochet (Recommend it, wonderful rose.)

Georgetown tea ( Still young and building)

Le Vesuve (Love the color of this rose. I find it difficult to describe, but there is a luminous quality to the bloom that really appeals to me. Stands the heat.)

Spice (Small tea, wonderful fragrance as the name suggests, in the spring the blooms get a slight pink blush, this fades in the heat of summer. Very healthy.)

Francis Dubreuil (this rose has been very slow to build and it gets some BS, but the flower is the most magnificent velvety red. )

• sabalmatt_tejas
    13 years ago

Hi Jayanti,
    I grow all roses no spray. Maggie and Marie Pavie are healthy and heat tolerant. I love the fragrance of Francis Dubreuil, but he get some BS sometimes- still worthy for the fragrance alone.

• jayanti
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sherry- I keep wondering about Marie Van Houtte. The only reason I did not include her was because she's supposed to be very similar to Mrs. Dudley cross (with the exception that MVH is thorny). MVH's bloom does appear more globular- is that right? Is it worth considering both MVH and MDC in a garden that has more contenders than planting space.?

Ingrid- It's very helpful (and heartening) to know that most teas can be kept at 6'x6'. Some of the sizes mentioned in the forum are quite intimidating!

Kay- Thank you for weighing in; your comments were very helpful. Glad that le Monsieur gets an enthusiastic nod even if his flowers are smaller in the heat. Also, I find it interesting that Ms. Marie Pavie had to meet Mr. Shovel on account of her mega thorny canes; she's touted as thornless!

Luxrosa- Thank you for your very helpful comments. Especially helpful is the notion that Etoile de Lyon can be espaliered in a narrow space or maintained at 5'. That opens up more possibilities. Le Pactole sounds wonderful; how big was yours? Sorry you had to leave it behind.

Thonotorose- Thanks! Maggie sounds like a champ even with the occasional bs. She's on my list now!

collinw- How big is your William R Smith? He sounds very handsome. Monster Tillier and Massive Lombard sound scary (15' x 20'!!!). Where do you live (if you don't mind my asking)? Le Vesuve's luminosity and rapid rebloom sound very appealing. He seems to gather consistent praise (along with Mrs. BRC and DDb). Is your Maman Cochet large?

sabalmatt- Thanks for letting me know that you grow all your roses without spray. Encouraging news- since you're in Dallas too. I'm excited that Maggie is very healthy for you. Francis Dubreuil sounds very worthy indeed!

Jayanti

• melissa_thefarm
    13 years ago

As a side note, I find it a little odd that 'Niphetos', generally described as a fussy variety, when put barely rooted into an exposed part of the garden with modeling clay soil, where it went through a very chilly dark winter, followed by a second extremely wet winter, all with a minimum of attention, did just fine. (It suddenly occurs to me to wonder whether I have the right rose: I haven't seen it bloom yet). Are there people who find 'Niphetos' easy to grow? Or is it that it tends to produce poor flowers if it's not pampered?
    Melissa

• jaspermplants
    13 years ago

I have Niphetos and find it easy to grow, however, I'm not convinced it's not Mrs Herbert Stevens, which I also grow. Niphetos is younger and I'm watching how it compares to Mrs Herbert Stevens as it matures.