SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherry_roma

Pruning climbing Teas

sherryocala
11 years ago

I'm about to deal with my Maman Cochet Cl, Reve d'Or and Duchesse d'Auerstadt. MC and DdA look awful. MC throws side shoots as if they were main canes, and with the murderous squirrels chewing on her new growth, she probably loses half of it, so she is thin and rangy. DdA has never been as vigorous as MC by a long shot. With my bush Teas I only remove dead stuff and growth that extends into the paths, and with the climbers I've just cut off whole side shoots that can't be turned and are in the way. I've never pruned it like a traditional climber. I'm wondering how she would react to cutting side shoots to 6" (or 3 or 4 nodes). If she doesn't die (such an optimist), she will certainly throw more 12-footers all over the place - which may be a good thing. I feel like she's suffering without the new growth that the squirrels destroy. DdA has had a worse problem with squirrels since she's not as vigorous anyway. I don't think she's had a basal break survive in 3 years.

RdO on the other hand is pretty bushy on top but also doesn't have much in the way of basal growth. I basically trim her around the edges and that's all.

Definitely need some help here.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

Comments (12)