SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mcmars_gw

chipper question on best technique

mcmars
10 years ago

Hello all. I picked up a used 10hp DR chipper in good shape a few years back and have about 8 hours of use on it. After replacing the belt and sharpening the blade, it worked pretty good for up 1 to 2 1/2" branches. It did not like fresh elm as the tough stringy nature of the elm would twist up and clog up the machine. So last year did a huge amount of tree clearing and pruning of my fruit trees and let the branch pile sit to age for a year thinking aged branches would chip down easier.

So today I changed the oil, plug, installed gas filter, cleaned air filter and put new gas in the chipper. The well aged branches seemed to vibrate horribly and split and jam pieces between the blade and the flywheel. Blade still had a reasonable edge but I pulled it and manually sharpened it w a large diamond stone like I had done before. I will install the blade tomorrow and see if it will chip without the vibration. Wondering if I over aged the wood so that it is hard and brittle?? I tried some cottonwood that I thought would just disintegrate and also some apricot which was even worse. Motor running great, belt good??? I have some Carpel tunnel and rheumatoid arthritis which can flare up w vibration and trying to figure out best way to get this done. I can run my 20" still chainsaw easier than trying to force the vibrating branches into the chute. Somewhere I have some antivibration gloves and maybe the sharpened blade will help when I try again tomorrow. Did I wait to long w the branches? Maybe I just torch them and start cutting back new branches for garden chip??? Any clue what is going on, sure do not remember it being this difficult.

Comments (5)