SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chris_in_ct

Question for Mike_IL re filtering techniques

chris_in_ct
12 years ago

Hi Mike,

Saw your responses to Jeff on his new pond build and your comments regarding settling chambers were interesting. I do not have an SC, but I do have the general problem you describe: I think a small amount of material makes it through to my pump which churns it all up into *very* small material which is then really tough to get out of the water. That being said, my pond is pretty clear any way - but I think it could be clearer still. And, as I am considering an expansion I'd like your opinion on the "ideal" filtering approach you have seen or used in your work.

I currently have a 2000 gallon pond, with a bottom drain and skimmer. The BD is plumbed to the front chamber of the skimmer. The skimmer has a net filter, then two different levels of matala. Gets most material, but as you point out, not all. I have an external 6000gph pump, in a pump chamber below water level. I pump that water up about 60 feet to the top of my stream where I have a DIY skippy bio-filter. It's a 100 gallon rubbermaid container with 18 inches of stacked matala from the least dense (green) on the bottom through to the most dense (black or grey - can't remember) on top. Water flows up through the matala then out one output near the top feeding two portions of my 60 foot stream.

As I said, my water is fairly clear, but I would be intersted in hearing how I could improve my overall filtration of the system. Oh, BTW, have two KOI and two comets. No other fish.

Always looking to learn so I appreciate any info. Attached is my pond album from pre-pond to post-pond if the pics help you at all.

Thanks!

-Chris

Here is a link that might be useful: My pond album

Comments (6)