SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gmreeves

Techniques for adding food

gmreeves
14 years ago

My bins have been going for almost a month. They are located in my garage that stays about 70 degrees and so far they are undetectable by my wifes superior olfactory senses. They are all doing great and I have a lot of worms that are really working over our scraps. I made three OSCR jr. bins and I divided the bin into six sections, three down each long side. Each Sunday I add food to the next location moving clockwise around the bin. So far I have only been putting about a pound of food in each bin each Sunday. That has been a pretty good mix of fruit, veggies, coffee, and filters. Last night while doing something in the Garage, I noticed one of my workers crawling across the floor. I picked him up and threw him back in the bin. I decided I would take a look at the three bins to see how they were making progress on the food from Sunday. When I moved the bedding back, I saw just what I suspected. A pile of decomposing food with a lot of worms surrounding it. There wasn't much of a smell after I moved the bedding. I got to thinking that some people don't add more food until the last food is all gone while others will add more food when the last food is almost gone, and some maybe sooner. I was kind of hoping to start adding food twice a week but after looking at the amount of food left last night, I don't think it is a wise move. The pound of food was maybe two inches deep when I put it in on sunday.

I guess I have a few questions regarding my scenario.

1. Should I continue like I'm doing and not mess with something that seems like it is successful?

2. Should I feed twice a week but in smaller portions so I only put down about an inch of food?

3. Should I break the bin up into 4 larger sections instead of 6 smaller sections and feed the same amount allowing me to spread it in a thinner layer?

I guess either way really doesn't matter. I'm just board at work and was thinking about my worms and thought I would pose the question. What would you do?

Comments (4)