SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Adding more food to the garden?

lavender_lass
12 years ago

I know I've asked this before, but with some of the new people here...is anyone planning to add more food to their gardens, this spring? While I love the flowers, which bring in so many hummingbirds, butterflies, bumblebees and other beneficials...I like to have food, too :)

So, this year I not only plan to add another flower garden (by the new porch) but expand the kitchen garden, to include some vegetable beds. After much debate, we decided against the center focal point (easier to mow) and will have the four beds, with a bird bath at the end, with the blueberries and some perennials.

My garden has lots of herbs and flowers mixed in with the fruit and vegetables, partly for looks, partly for beneficial bugs...but mainly to keep the deer from eating my food! So far, it's worked pretty well, but any big crops (like corn) will need a fence...so that may be a garden for next year.

Here's a quick drawing of my 'expanded' kitchen garden, but I ran out of room on the right hand side, so imagine another foot or two, then the arch with vegetables and flowers in that bed.
{{gwi:22843}}From Lavender's Garden

Here's a picture of the arbor, from last year...the arch in the background is being moved to the new vegetable bed...and blueberries will be there, instead.
{{gwi:22840}}From Lavender's Garden

Here's a picture from last fall, from the fairy garden, taken to show the honeysuckle, but you can see the bird bath, arbor and table, in the background.
{{gwi:247924}}From Lavender's Garden

So, is anyone else planning to add another bed for vegetables or fruit? Maybe replace a bed that isn't working out? I'd like to see your plans for this spring! I'm getting tired of snow/mud/snow/mud...so let's see some garden ideas :)

Comments (20)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES