SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seamommy

Flooring

seamommy
14 years ago

I have been trying to decide what to put down on the floor of my GH and have several options that will cost nothing. I have some nice looking gray brick pavers that my sister gave me, but probably not enough to do the whole floor, maybe just the center aisle and flank that with pea gravel.

Or I also have some 1' square red pavers, also not enough for the whole thing, pea gravel under the shelves.

One guy recommended decomposed granite (aka roadbed) which packs down real hard, stays porous and looks very blah. I don't have any of it right now, but it would be inexpensive to use it for the whole floor.

Or I also could use builder's sand/pea gravel mix which would pack down semi-hard, stay porous and look OK.

A Japanese friend suggested a teak deck over a sandy layer which would be beautiful but expensive compared to the other options.

Lastly, I could just leave the earth floor as is. The soil is nice and I thought that I could probably plant directly in it. It's in an area that was formerly part of the vegetable garden and it has been amended for the past several years with our homemade compost. So it almost seems like a shame to cover it up. The concrete perimeter foundation is only 6" above grade so anything growing there would get plenty of sunshine and water.

Would anyone care to weigh in on these options and/or make other suggestions? I would love to know what others are using and whether the free options that I have right now are OK, not feasable, or just not a good idea and why.

Cheryl

Comments (14)