SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
praties

Pondering rose choice

praties
11 years ago

Hey, there! I live in the "wet side" of Washington State where black spot, rust, powdery mildew, and deer (among other things) take a terrible toll on roses. Two years ago, I planted a Rosa "Maxima" depending on its toughness and eventual size to see it through and it's been doing well. I'm tempted to plant a Champney's Pink Cluster for the same reason. I have space for it to climb or sprawl as it sees fit and, as with the Maxima, I'll keep it fenced until deer pruning won't cause irreparable harm, but other than feeding, watering and dead-heading/pruning as needed, that's all the care it will receive. Will the CPC handle that or is it fussier than I've read? We're on a well and all the water in this county is ground-water--nothing from snow melt or reservoirs--so I flat refuse to spray any of our plants.

I'm pretty open to any other suggested roses. My only dislikes are "cabbage" roses (most of David Austin's lines--too much rain here and they turn into heavy, soggy brown blobs) and unscented roses. Any or all suggestions very gratefully received.

Comments (16)