SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
echinaceamaniac

Dark and Gold Foliage Combos

15 years ago

I planted these two together and they look great together. I'll take pics when they establish and bloom.

Penstemon 'Husker's Red'

Lobelia cardinalis 'Golden Torch'

I bet some dark Sedums would look good too. I need another perennial with the gold foliage. I heard Veronica Aztec Gold doesn't grow well in the south so I'm hesitant about it.

Please suggest some other combinations like this. I really like the looks of this color combo!

Comments (28)

• 15 years ago

I'm a big fan of Tradescantia 'Blue and Gold' (syn. 'Sweet Kate').

I'll take a look at my photo collection this evening...

• 15 years ago

Is there a salvia with gold foliage and purple or blue blooms? That would be awesome. Maybe someone is working on that one!

• Related Discussions

Sedum Xenox (or other dark-foliaged sedum)

Q

Comments (22)
    I don't have anything to really weigh in on the matter or xenox or other dark sedums... I only have autumn joy and matrona. But I had no idea what I had was matrona lol. I received two cuttings from a former co-worker last June, I believe. I stuck them in the ground but haven't really seen them in full fall flower (they had small buds on them when I got the cuttings but they never bloomed). So at any rate, I just wanted to say thanks for naming my sedum :) But, i do love Lynda Windsor... saw it on Blue Stone and I'd love to get a few of those
    ...See More

Marigolds dark foliage

Q

Comments (5)
    Thanks, Tiffy. I'll just chalk it up to the cool temps. It had dropped a little after they sprouted and these weren't done in the "traditional" w/s method. They were just outside with a peice of plastic over the tray they're in. That just makes me wonder what they're going to look like mature. I didn't plan on having any purpleish foliage from marigolds. I have lots of other plants for that. But I'm sure it will be a nice contrast to the electric orange blooms. I love that combo.
    ...See More

Going crazy - dark room - Behr new penny combo?

Q

Comments (1)
    Why a light color? A dark color can look fabulous in a room with low natural light -- warm, cozy, rich and romantic.
    ...See More

SW Restrained Gold? Mannered Gold? Suggestions?

Q

Comments (13)
    Thanks teacats, I'll go check out the Ivoire tomorrow. I have a black framed pic planned for the foyer - but lots of golds/fall colors in it. Trim is pure white, fixtures are silver metal. For now I used the Restrained, but after all the rooms are done I want to explore some other ideas - lighter colors, especially since I think I'll paint the ceiling, too.
    ...See More
  • 15 years ago

Check out Salvia 'Golden Delicious' with bright red blooms very late in the season here, like October. It was just beginning to bloom here as the first frost took it out. It is a tender perennial around here.

• 15 years ago

Euphorbia 'Bonfire' and Carex 'Prairie Fire'

• 15 years ago

Check out Plant World seed for Angelica Corinne Tremaine and Ebony, also for silene Purple Prince and myosotis Gold. Some most beautiful colored foliage. I also am growing digitalis Flashing Spires this year.

• 15 years ago

There is a Salvia with blue flowers and chartruese bracts: Salvia mexicana 'Limelight'. It's a large plant though, but I've seen it blooming at the JC Raulston arboretum in Raleigh and it was spectacular.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia 'Limelight'

• 15 years ago

Stachys 'Primrose Heron' and Ophiopogon:

{{gwi:205796}}

Lysimachia numm. 'Aurea' and Sedum of your choice (mine would be 'Xenox'):

{{gwi:205797}}

• 15 years ago

Spirea 'Goldmound' or one of the other low-growing spirea. They leaf out very early in spring and last a long time into the first few frosts before losing their leaves. No blooms on that one.

Heuchera 'Lime Rickey' would give you nice, big leaves with those other textures.

Agastache 'Golden Jubilee' has chartreuse foliage and purple spires.

Cameron

• 15 years ago

Coolplantsguy, love the combination of Primrose Heron and Ophiopogon. Stachys Primrose Heron is hard to find, would you know of a Canadian mail order source for this? I had it years ago but I haven't seen it for sale locally for a number of years.

Annette

• 15 years ago

Tanacetum 'Isla Gold' has the most gorgeous chartreuse foliage ever. It's a very slow to increase plant and not at all invasive, unlike it's green relations.

Spirea 'Ogon' is also beautiful gold foliage as is S. 'Golden Elf', more chartreuse than gold. I have 'Golden Elf' with Sedum 'Black Jack'.

• 15 years ago

Don't forget about Sedum 'Angelina' -- it would be great with some of the dark-leaved Sedums.

Annette, you're right, Stachys 'Primrose Heron' is relatively scarce. I do not know a mail order nursery that offers it, although I would assume Valleybrook/Heritage still grows it.

• 15 years ago

I planted Aztec Gold Veronica last fall. It has yet to come up much here, although it's struggling here to do so. Should be pretty though. If you don't mind a real spreader, I have had Creeping Jenny before and it does wonderful for me. Never fails to grow and is a nice bright, lime green with small yellow flowers.
    I bought heuchera 'Citronelle' a nice bright lime green to go with my Amethyst Mist heuchera this year.
    If you look at the Euphorbia's I would go with Polychroma instead of Bonfire. I planted 4 Bonfires last fall and all died. I'm trying it again this spring instead but we'll see... Besides, Polychroma I believe is a little hardier than Bonfire (as per Tracy DiSabato-Aust's A Well-Tended Perennial Garden book).

• 15 years ago

Echinaceamaniac,
    Please, please post your pics of the Lobelia when it's blooming. I've been going back and forth on whether to buy that plant!

• 15 years ago

I have Angelina sedums too with Concord Barberry - fantastic!

• 15 years ago

I also love the combination of Primrose Heron and Ophiopogon -- that's Black Mondo grass, right? I hear that it is more of a groundcover than a grass, and will spread drastically. Is this true, or is it generally more well behaved?

• 15 years ago

Yes, Ophiopogon is Black Mondo Grass. It does spread, but usually very SLOWLY! ;)

• 15 years ago

Is it easy enough to dig up when it spreads? or is it deep?
    I've spent a year digging out Bishops Weed, I dont want anything that is deep and tuberous to dig out :)

• 15 years ago

Black Mondo Grass is NOTHING like Bishop's Weed in regards to aggressive spreading. As for digging it up, it is relatively easy.

• 15 years ago

There's a cool new low-growing dark-leaved Sedum called 'Chocolate Ball'. It looks like it is the same type as 'Angelina' (S. reflexum/rupestre).

Here is a link that might be useful: Sedum 'Chocolate Ball'

• 14 years ago

Yes the Chocolate Ball is a great choice for a plant with darker colors. It ranges in color from milk-chocolate in the spring to red in the fall, this sedum looks gorgeous all year round.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chocolate Ball Sedum

• 14 years ago

Cuban Gold Duranta is a beautiful low growing tropical that I use alot. It stands up to our vicious heat without fading to green or burning. I overwinter cuttings each year. I love it with blue Salvia Farinacea.

FYI, although I love my Ogon Spireas, they do fade to green and sometimes burn here in my borderline 7/8 garden. They more than earn their space though, this time of year, as their blooms are so enchanting.

I have a mat-forming chartreuse veronica. I lost its name, but I can tell you it is one of my top two or three chartreuse plants for this area. It has never bloomed.

• 14 years ago

Okay ... I'm an occasional poster, constant reader here.

A few years ago I saved several threads on burgundy, maroon, purple and combinations. So I went looking for them ...

Here goes:

First, Weigela 'Olympiade' Briant Rubidor.

I know it's a shrub, but does anyone have this one? It has "soft chartreuse" foliage and deep red flowers. Missouri Botanical Gardens has given it a "Plant of Merit" award. Grows to 5' - 8'. Sounds like it could be a gorgeous backdrop to Burgundy or purple flowers.

Now here's one I have grown. Again, not a perennial; a biennial usually grown as an annual this time, but one that can be so helpful and fun. Beta vulgaris. The beets / swiss chards. 'Bull's Blood' gets you that deep dark color, but others, like 'Northern Lights' and 'Bright Lights' give you markings of gold, chartreuse, white, pink, and red-burgundy. And ... if you want to, you can steal outer young leaves for salads. I find these grow in pretty quickly from seed.

Another thought is the snapdragon 'Black Prince'. Oh, it's beautiful. Seeds available a number of places and mine have been reliable return plants for several years. Both foliage and plants are dark.

I've also purchased the Campanula 'Blue Eyed Blond' from Bluestone. Anyone tried that yet? It's supposed to have good gold-chartreuse foliage.

Does anybody remember when Annie from Annie's Annuals used to post here? Here's a plant she suggested:
    "Another wonderful Burgundy plant- Angelica stricta 'Ebony' . Burgundy flower heads & foliage. to 4' with branching flower heads. Its lovely!"

Sorry this isn't really about a coherent combination. I keep wanting to get organized and do a burgundy - chartreuse bed with blue and white highlights ... but ... other plants come along and get in the way.

Wellspring

• 14 years ago

A combination of Physocarpus 'Diablo' and Geranium 'Ann Folkard' planted at the base looks quite nice especially when Ann still has her golden foliage.
    I came upon this combination by accident when I was redoing one of the flower beds, perennials I wanted to keep I put in pots, placed them under the physocarpus until I was ready to plant them out again. When Ann bloomed she looked so nice she found a permanent home right there.

• 14 years ago

This thread has me thinking ...

I went out to prune back my caryopterii (plural? caryopteruses?) and remembered that there are some gold-leaf varieties. Mine is just a common one that was here when we moved in, but I've always wanted to try C. 'Worcester Gold'. There is a newer one that gets good marks for its foliage called 'Hint of Gold', which has mostly gold leaves with a green edge. That one sounds pretty and it's also supposed to be smaller.

Wellspring

• 14 years ago

Oh, I LOVE the dark and gold foliage combo! I first saw this used in a shade garden in Cannon Beach Oregon. All of the stores and shops had amazing gardens for the public to veiw, but this one impressed me the most.

I have a few of these gold/dark combos in the full sun beds, but most seem to be in the shade garden.
    Here are a couple of pics from the back shade garden, sorry I did not get wider shots...

Hakonechloa 'Aureola', Cryptotaenia japonica 'Atropurpurea'
    {{gwi:205799}}

Hosta 'August Moon', Geranium pratense 'Midnight Reiter', Japanese Painted Fern 'Pictum'.
    {{gwi:205801}}

A full sun combo that looks pretty good is Agastache 'Golden Jubilee' with Hypericum 'Albury Purple'. Lol, now that I think about it, that may be the only gold/dark combo in any of the sun gardens.
    CMK

• 14 years ago

Hosta 'Piedmont Gold' has absolutely GORGEOUS chartreuse foliage. Other plants with chartreuse foliage include sweet potato vine 'margarita', agastache 'golden jubilee', heuchera 'lime rickey', and sedum 'angelina' (not really chartreuse, but nice gold color)

• 14 years ago

I used to have Iris pallida "Aureo Veriegata" between some bushes of culinary sage with purple leaves. Also Spirea 'Magic Carpet' with Euphorbia 'Chameleon' and Rosa glauca with Geranium 'Ann Folkard'. The possibilities are endless, actually. Any shrub with golden or purple foliage makes a great foil for contrasting flowers or foliage.

• 14 years ago

Ophiopogon planiscapus 'Nigrescens' with Sagina subulata 'Aurea'

{{gwi:205803}}

Daylily 'Trahlyta' with Huechera 'I can't remember which lime green one' and Weigela 'Midnight Wine'

{{gwi:205805}}