SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
john_in_ma

Pics of your snow machines--let's see 'em

john_in_ma
18 years ago

All right, it's been a while since we had a good pic post here, so let's have at it. Those of us in the northeast got a good 12-24" of snow Sunday. I think I got about 18" with some 30" drifts. How'd you all do? Anything to report?

{{gwi:297134}}

Here's this year's duo. 1996 Toro PowerThrow 724 2-stage and a Toro PowerCurve 1800 electric. Got both this past offseason--724 for $200 when my church upgraded and the 1800 for $12 at the church's rummage sale. First year I actually pay money for one and we only get one storm.

{{gwi:297136}}

Both machines impressed me. The 724 managed snow twice its depth without any bogging, althought its bucket ideally would be higher. This was only powerdery snow so the drum auger didn't pose a problem. No traction problems with the stock Toro tires. The drive internals are well-designed, but made to a price point and certainly behind Ariens, Simplicity, and some of the larger Toro models.

{{gwi:297138}}

The 1800 electric was a real surprise. Having owned a smaller Toro electric years ago I was thinking it would be a toy, but it really moves the light stuff. I had planned on selling it but now I think I'll keep it for walkways. Ah, but that's not the only reason I'm hanging on to it. Don't see too many of these:

{{gwi:297140}}

The drift cutter on the 724 is something I made the morning of the storm. Started thinking I might not be packing enough snowblower, so I ground, drilled, and painted the thing in time use it before the paint dried.

Comments (18)