SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
don_in_colorado

Favorite Pics? Post 'em Here!!!

don_in_colorado
8 years ago

I'll start it off with this. This is looking over the side of my deck, on the South side of my backyard. Please post any hosta-related pictures you particularly enjoy!

Comments (104)

• bchosta 8b west coast canada
    8 years ago

Don and Newhostalady - interesting perspectives provided by your cool closeups!

BC

don_in_colorado thanked bchosta 8b west coast canada
  • Tiddisolo Wales UK
    8 years ago

My favourite time of the year, so much potential. I get a huge buzz out of this time of the year.

Can't wait for it to begin again !

Spot the photo bomber

Dave

don_in_colorado thanked Tiddisolo Wales UK
  • Related Discussions

Favorite Variety? Please post pics!

Q

Comments (58)
    Fisherman's Paradise is a large standard. This is still a relatively young plant and it is already about 12" across. This one is Fun Trail and has been blooming constantly for about a month now with lots of fantasy on the blooms.
    ...See More

Since there's hardly anyone here anyway, I'll posts pics here.

Q

Comments (24)
    Sherry, my MJP is doing very well. She's still small, and I've had only one bloom from her, but it was lovely. Cream and apricot and pink all washed together. She seems quite healthy and is currently putting out new growth - I think she is just a quiet little aristocrat who doesn't take giant strides, just little dainty steps. Another small rose that I got even later last year is really leaping ahead, and has given two flushes already (only two blooms each flush, though!). But I don't hold that against MJP - they are just different from each other. I am also facing the problem of less sun this year (the trees have grown), so I have been moving them all around for maximum exposure. Also I'm repotting the ones most in need of it, one at a time (I'm not known for my stamina), and this has helped the ones that have been done. In the ground is not an option for me, but it sure sounds like it helps! Your SdEV is exquisite. Laura
    ...See More

Tropical fruit pics, post here

Q

Comments (1)
    zone10aridgardener, How do you post multiple pics? Thanks, MM
    ...See More

Random/Misc. Pics? Post 'em Here!

Q

Comments (81)
    Don, he wasn't my first parrot....He could be likened to finally getting a Porsche, if you're into cars. I brought him home when he was 5 weeks old.... about mid-April, 1999. Here is his baby picture when he came home. I'd been going over to my friend's house (the breeder), to hand feed him when she pulled him from the nestbox. I continued to hand feed him, with what is called "abundance feeding" so he weaned himself, at 22 weeks old, without feeling deprived. He weighed 600 grams as a well fed baby boy, and he weighs that now as an adult. He has beautiful feathers, no fat, great muscle tone especially in his breast which allows him to fly efficiently.....but consider that birds are so aerodynamic, with hollow bones, hollow feathers, they eat moderately frequently, also poop frequently and do it almost EVERY time before they take flight....which is a clue to imminent flight, by the way.
    ...See More
  • DelawareDonna Zone 7A
    8 years ago

Ha Ha, Dave. The photo bomber stands out like a sore thumb! Gees, how many hostas do you have??

Another favorite photo -

• Tiddisolo Wales UK
    8 years ago

Donna, I keep telling her the same thing. She sits near the bird feeders convinced they can't see her !

I've never counted numbers of hostas properly, I even started writing the names down to compile a list.

Frankly lifes too short to worry about how many, there are lots of other things I would rather be doing!

I guess somewhere over the 300 mark of different names, you can add another dozen or so for duplicates.

My project for this year is to link them up to an auto watering system.

Dave

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    8 years ago

Thanks hostatakeover for your nice comments. Great closeup and drops photo Don. I can see that you too appreciate those closeups and drops! Way to go!

Love the photo with all your pots Dave! What I would love even more would be to actually have been right there amongst those pots!

don_in_colorado thanked newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il
    8 years ago

Phenomenal photos again, Peren.all! Can't wait to see what this season brings!

Sherry

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    8 years ago

Awww thank you Sherry! I am so looking forward to Spring!

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    8 years ago

Ahhhh . . . . only a few more short weeks to go. Hopefully. My new favorite combination: hosta + heuchera.

don_in_colorado thanked littlebug zone 5 Missouri
  • jamie81
    8 years ago

Your photos are beautiful. Just love them. Connie is right, the quality of the photos is really amazing.

I'm curious, have any of you done a photo gallery wall with all these gorgeous pictures? Especially the closeups. Don, mbug, jo, so many of you have close ups that would look breathtaking on a photo wall.

• billgoff307
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

The varied shapes, sizes colors and leaf shapes of hostas continually amaze me.

Coleus seem to be a perfect partner to hostas..

To leave flowers on or cut them off…what to do? Since hostas are closely related to lilies, the white flowers, particularly at the end of summer, have remarkably sweet fragrance. A freshly cut stem, placed in a vase with water, can perfume a kitchen for several days.

June has been said to have watercolor-like markings.

don_in_colorado thanked billgoff307
  • paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    8 years ago

Don, great idea, especially this time of the year. I envy your Guardian Angel.

Hostanista, your first photo what is the combination in the lower right corner of the photo? Outstanding.

Josephine, your photos are beautiful.

Hostahosta, in your last photo, what is the hosta at the very back, maybe Captain Kirk?

newhostalady, nice photographs, in fact - all of the photos posted by everyone are so nice to see! I love the forest scenes.

tsugajunkie 3rd photo down, what is the hosta in front of the fish?

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    8 years ago

Paula-That is my oldest June from a couple of years ago. It was over 4 feet across this year.

tj

don_in_colorado thanked tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
  • mbug_gw
    8 years ago

Enjoying everyone's garden views and closeups!!

Found a few more closeups

Brother Stefan closeup

Brother Stefan emerging in the rain

June blooms

Deep Blue Sea closeup

Great Expectations closeup

Cup of Grace closeup

Love Pat

Thanks again Don....keep it going!

don_in_colorado thanked mbug_gw
  • paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    8 years ago

new bed full of promise

don_in_colorado thanked paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
  • mbug_gw
    8 years ago

Well done Paula....beautiful already!

• DelawareDonna Zone 7A
    8 years ago

Dancing Queen - early on...

don_in_colorado thanked DelawareDonna Zone 7A
  • zkathy z7a NC
    8 years ago

Whoa! Such beautiful gardens! Paula_b_gardener, does that hammock ever get any use? Not by the look of your pristine gardens!

I posted a while back about my dragon bed so I thought this would be a good thread to show it to y'all.

Can you see the dragon?

I'm still in New Orleans, no hostas here, but it's already spring. I was at the fabulous Audubon zoo with my grandsons today, short sleeves, high of 76F. If you need to get away next winter, come to the Mardi Gras, still the greatest free show on earth.

Kathy

don_in_colorado thanked zkathy z7a NC
  • josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    8 years ago

Kathy, is that your Komodo Dragon in the centre of the bed AND a smaller one in the barrel? The one in the bed looks like it will eat up the others in no time! A beauty!

8 years ago

Paula, it's good to have you back! thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed my photos. You have been busy - I love the colour palette of the new bed, looks beautiful. You moved to acquired acreage last year, didn't you? (I think it was you).

Is the first photo of the bed in front of the house? The one where you removed a large shrub back in 2013 or 2014? If I'm confusing you with someone else, just forgive me please, lol.

• hostahosta
    8 years ago

Paula: the hosta you asked about is Lakeside Shore Master.

• billgoff307
    8 years ago

Komodo Dragon in my garden. It came delivered to my house in a 4" pot one fine spring day 5 years ago. I so love it! As far as I can measure, it is between 5 and 6' wide.

Here it is in full bloom...

don_in_colorado thanked billgoff307
  • hostatakeover swMO
    8 years ago

Donna, you have a fantastic eye for blending the perfect mix of colors and textures together. Your gardens are just breathtaking.

Bill, that *thunk* you just heard was me, fainting at the sight of your Komodo Dragon. Amazing growth rate.....is your neighborhood missing any pets or small children?

• DelawareDonna Zone 7A
    8 years ago

Thank you for the lovely compliment, hostatakeover. Believe me there was no grand plan in the beginning when I knew nada about hosta. It has evolved as my knowledge has expanded with the help of all the knowledgeable people on this forum. I can say I've been gardening for 40+ years. Don, thanks for starting this thread. It is a joy looking at all the beautiful photos of many talented gardeners. When you plant a garden, you plant happiness is the sign in my garden, and I truly believe it.

don_in_colorado thanked DelawareDonna Zone 7A
  • don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wonderful pics from everyone, thank you for sharing. I had no rhyme or reason (except for the fragrant bed) when starting my hosta beds. I just bought em and planted em. I see I have quite a few variegated hostas planted together, which isn't ideal, but looks OK to me...

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    8 years ago

Most of the pics I took this season were close-ups and posted on other threads...here are my favourites.

don_in_colorado thanked ConnieMay ON Z6a
  • mommas_secrets
    8 years ago

Two years after we built the decks and gardens. Before and after. The guy in the lawn chair is only "my Cuban lawn boy" he calls himself. I'm the gardener. Before I met him I had Virgin Gardens. No man or machine had ever been in them.

don_in_colorado thanked mommas_secrets
  • zkathy z7a NC
    8 years ago

Beautiful pictures, ConnieMay!

Mommas_secrets, I love your sense of balance and scale. What's the gold hosta at 7oclock? Please post pictures when this bed matures!

• zkathy z7a NC
    8 years ago

I'm going to post the dragon picture again for you, Jo, and identify.

Komodo Dragon is the hump of the dragons back. Salute is in front of KD and is the neck of the dragon. The dragon's crest is SILVER STAR™. The eyes were a birthday gift that have been rolling around my house for 15 years, looking for their true home. The snout is Allegan Fog, a fabulous non-complaining hosta. One Man's Treasure is the left front leg with Ripple Effect as a claw. On Stage and Holleywood Lights are the left and right wing. Twist of Lime is still trying to figure out what part of the dragon it is. Restless Sea and of course Dragon Tails are in the barrel to be the tail. I had a lot of chemical assistance making this up, but I like the way it's coming along.

Kathy

don_in_colorado thanked zkathy z7a NC
    8 years ago

Kathy, what I obviously missed the first time I sure got the second time around, lol! Thank you for the "dragon tour"! It sure looks like a dragon now that my eyes have been opened.

Your creativity is delightful and I'll bet your grandsons think their Grandma is the coolest!

• mommas_secrets
    8 years ago

Kathy I don't have names for most of my Hostas. I inherited them from a family whome were not gardeners. They had purchased a home with lovely gardens and they have 6 children and live part of the time here and the rest of the yr in Ottawa. When I saw the children using a baseball bat on the tulips their fist spring in the home i assured them I knew a loving home for all her plants. Can you point out the one more carefully and I'll look to see if I have a name as some of them I did purchase. (7oclock)? Dark green, white edges? Or smaller one to the right of it?

• zkathy z7a NC
    8 years ago

Mommas_secrets, the bright gold one that looks like you gave it plenty of room for growth. Behind the two red flowers.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    8 years ago

Hi Jo - what a memory you have! Yes, it is 'me' and thank you for the welcome. We acquired almost 2 acres early last year.

Hostahosta - thank you for naming LS Shore Master. I have that one but my colours are different than yours.

tsugajunkie the last photo that I posted includes a photo of my June, it isn't nearly the size that yours is though.

8 years ago

Thanks for catching my question(s), Paula! Can't wait to see what you have planned for all those hostas you were fortunate to take with you! :D

• hostanista
    8 years ago

Kathy_b in answer to your question the hosta combination in my first photo bottom right are Elegans, Liberty (a tiny bit of Pilgrim showing under Liberty) and Plantaginea.

• DelawareDonna Zone 7A
    8 years ago

Hi Paula - I remember when you were talking about your move and bringing your hostas with you. Nice to have you posting again.

8 years ago

I didn't take this photo, simply copied it when Hostanista started the About Face thread two or so years ago...where we posted our selfies/photos and introduced ourselves. I absolutely love this photo because I fell in love with our "Phil/hostafreak" right then and there! :) (the other pleasant-looking fella on the left with Phil is our very own Ken :-). Phil and his wife had visited Ken that day.)

Phil (RIP) comes to my mind often regardless of time of year but especially when I see my Sagae and a couple of others hostas we had in common.

so....I am posting this, one of my favourite photos, even though it didn't come from my garden. Miss you, Phil. Wish you could see all these beautiful pictures....

don_in_colorado thanked josephines167 z5 ON Canada
  • paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    8 years ago

I was thinking about Phil yesterday when posting and I remember this photo that Ken posted. It is so strange how someone that you only 'know' through the Internet can have such an impact on your life. I miss him, too he was always so kind and willing to offer advice to help anyone.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    8 years ago

Well, I just quickly 'surfed' through a bunch of pictures and found a few I liked...

Elegans

Rhino Hide

Great Expectations

??? Hard for me to remember unless I see something that shows location.

Paul's Glory

Dream Queen

Abiqua Drinking Gourd

Sagae
    Rainforest Sunrise

PG side view

Out of room.....Jon

don_in_colorado thanked Jon 6a SE MA
  • don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    8 years ago

You found a few I like as well, Jon! : )

• Jon 6a SE MA
    8 years ago

Great minds Don.

8 years ago

Jon, at the risk of repeating myself..... you sure grow nice hostas...no matter which one it is. They look well cared for but what I notice more than anything is their size! They always get a second look from me....or third...or....:-)

Guacamole Don, this wonderful thread has taken on a life of its own! I am bookmarking it now. Thank you.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    8 years ago

Thanks Jo. I always gravitate toward big/giant hosta....although I have a few (3) 'mistakes' that I made early on: Blue Mouse Ears, Hadspen Blue and Fire and Ice. The first two are spreading, so they will stay where they are. The Fire and Ice is going to find a space in the Sun or in exile to where I rarely see it.

Jon ;-}

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    8 years ago

Sun Power showing off.

• DelawareDonna Zone 7A
    8 years ago

Like this one too -

8 years ago

That particular one has beautiful composition of texture and colour. Simply beautiful, Donna!

Jon, you have a good plan...plant Fire and Ice in more sunlight. It likes it - at least it does here. :)

• DelawareDonna Zone 7A
    8 years ago

My "sista" is so sweet.

• mommas_secrets
    8 years ago

zkathy(7aNc) the snow had melted today so I went to check if this little hosta that you were curios about had a name...I purchased it and try to keep those identified. so its... "June" it's now 4 yrs old and still remains fairly small.

• zkathy z7a NC
    8 years ago

Mommas_secrets-What a chameleon June is! I would have guessed a lot wrong before I guessed June.

Here in NC, of my three Fire and Ice, the two in more shade do much better.

Kathy

• deangreen
    8 years ago

my favorite shady corner photo., only one little hosta in there though. :)

don_in_colorado thanked deangreen
  • Jon 6a SE MA
    8 years ago

Sagae

don_in_colorado thanked Jon 6a SE MA