SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathy547

Maybe getting a composter but have some questions

Kathy Johnson
15 years ago

I'm thinking about buying a compost tumbler (or equivelent). We have 4 1/2 acres - 90% of which has to be mowed or raked. I know I can put the grass clippings & leaves in. Can I put too much of one thing in, like grass clippings? Also, some of the property that's mowed is bahalia grass. Does it matter what kind of grass the clippings are from? Can I put the gum balls & pine needles in after I've raked under the sweet gum & pine trees? I don't want to be pulling seedlings out of my composter but I really, really don't want to pick gum balls out either.

I'd like to get the biggest composter I can afford & set it up out at the vegetable garden since this will be where most of the finished compost will be going (not to mention where the veggie scraps will end up). I'd like to fix up something for in the kitchen or to put outside the back door that I could wait 2 or 3 days to carry out to the compost bin. I'm thinking something like one of those 5 or 10 gallon plastic buckets with a lid & handle. In one of my gardening magazines I found one that came with charcoal filters to eliminate odor. Couldn't I just buy charcoal you use for grilling & throw some in the bucket each time I emptied it?

Any advice or opinions are welcomed!

Comments (12)