SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenbean08_gw

Have some questions about starting my garden

greenbean08_gw
16 years ago

I am building my garden this week and was hoping for a little advice. I live just NE of Colorado Springs. I just moved to CO in Dec, so this is the first gardening project here. I'm building 2 raised beds from redwood (used to be a deck) that are 4'x 10' and about 16" tall (3 boards high).

We have a lot of rabbits running around the neighborhood. Hopefully they can't climb in the beds with the 16" height. I was thinking it might be a good idea to put chicken wire at the bottom of the beds before I fill them?

I'm planning to do some form of sheet composting/lasagna beds, which I have never done before. So far I have acquired a bale of straw, cardboard, 2 boxes (more than 100 lbs I'm guessing from how hard they were to unload from the truck yesterday)of chicken manure/bedding that was scooped from a coop that hasn't had chickens in 6 months and I opted for the less fresh side of the coop because I've never used chicken poop before, and I know it's generally hot).

I also have a source of horse manure that I'm told is aged or composted, full of worms & castings, and I can get some leaves/pine needles. I'm also planning to check for coffee grounds at Starbucks, and maybe some old produce from the grocery store if I can get it.

Would I also need to get some soil from somewhere, or can I layer all these things throughout the beds and plant? (I don't plan to put all of the chicken poop in at once). I'm also thinking if the horse manure is as good as it sounds, that will be my primary source of filling the beds. Is this a good plan??

Sorry for the long post, but I figured I'd better give all of the info if I'm asking for advice! :)

I realize it would have been better to have started this earlier, but I didn't, and I really would like to have a garden again. I haven't had one for the last 2 summers. Maybe I'll do better this time!

Thanks!

Amy

Comments (4)