SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chele519

New to indoor seed starting-have some questions

chele519
13 years ago

I'm used to starting vegetables from seeds planted directly in the garden, or in 6 packs after it is warm enough to leave them outside. This year I am going to try starting some inside. I'm in NH, zone 5, so I can't plant until Memorial Day. I'm planning on starting tomatoes and peppers in the house, I usually buy tomatoes as plants so never did those as seeds, peppers I'm completely new at. These I'd like to start in about 3 weeks since it says 6-8 weeks before planting. I also will be doing summer squash/zucchini, these I usually start in plastic containers about 4 weeks before planting and then also plant some directly in the ground. I also will be growing cukes, green beans, and snap peas. The beans and peas I was planning on going directly into the ground and the cukes will also be started inside.

I'm confused as to whether I need a heating mat or not. My house is not very warm but I have a large south facing picture window which with drapes open lets in a lot of light and warms up the room. I'm planning to use the peat pellets with the dome cover and I know these are not supposed to be placed in direct sunlight. If the window is covered by drapes, a little thicker than sheers, will this be ok for germination? Once they sprout I can open them to let direct sunlight in.

I was considering the Hydrofarm germination station but with starting things at different times, some seeds will have sprouted when I'll just be planting others and I didn't want to transplant them into other pots right away. Can I use a regular moist heating pad instead? I'm a little nervous leaving it on all day while I'm gone but considering I had one on my back for about 12 hours one day last week, I know it does not get that hot to start a fire. Would this be as safe as using one intended for the plastic trays? I have 2 different sizes so I could use one for 1 36 pellet tray or the other one for 2 trays. I also have 2 grow lights, if I can find them, but with the south window, I don't know if I will need them or not.

Comments (12)